Emachine t6420 w/'serious error detected"

Status
Not open for further replies.
have an emachine t6420 about 3 years old that is giving me an error message as soon as it boot ups that windows is shutting down due to serious error being detected. new to repairing computers, trying to repair myself but not sure what it could be. the only way to work on it is in safe mode, i have scanned for viruses, performed disk cleanup, had defraged a week or so before this started. trying to get a system recovery disk now, no telling how long that will take. any ideas would be appreciated.

I presume when you boot up there is on the bottom of the screen a message saying hit f10 or f11 to start system restore. The t6420 has a partition of the complete restore on the harddrive hidden. So restart the computer and follow those instructions. there are 2 types of restore, one is a nondestructive which should be perfect for you. It does not loose any files or settings you have on the machine just replaces window xp files.

the other option is a complete destructive restore which formats the drive and brings the system to its first look when you bought it.

tried F11 and was told to insert recovery disk, person that owns computer has not made one yet! trying to get a copy of one. tried to do it safe mode and it wouldn't allow it.

This could be the start of the famous eMachine "Total Destruction"... Motherboard/power supply failures. Open the case and check for dust and other debris on the fans. Inspect the motherboard for swollen or leaking caps

Yeah make sure the fan is working, and if it is Id just completely reinstall windows. I had a e-machine die on me it sucks, first the cd-rom died then without my knowledge the fan went out and everything slowly fried.

Emachines come with two different recovery programs

One is a hard drive recovery and the other is disk based recovery

if you system is a disk based recovery you will lose all your data on your pc

Or if it a hard drive recovery
Restart your computer.
Press F11 repeatedly when the message "Press F11 to start recovery" is displayed.
The recovery will load and display a menu of options:

Full System Restore (with Backup): This options will move all Hard Disk contents to the "c:\My Backup" directory and install a new copy of Windows. This option preserves your existing data files, however all applications and settings will need to be reinstalled. This option requires 4GB of free Hard Disk space for the new OS.

found this at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060819000752AAUeYvu

I disagree with the part about looseing all data on your pc due to I have used this PC angel from emachine and I was a easy fix for a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back