Emachine T6532 boot up twice to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an emachine T6532 its been about a year 1/2 or so.. about 6 months ago I got a 500w power supply to handle my GeForce 7950 I had gotten and about a month ago my computer started to have problems..
Intally when I'd hit the start up button it'd seem like it was running but I'd let it run all it'd do is make the sounds from the fan, so I'd turn it off and wait a little and restart it and it'd run fine.. I've checked everything and everything is plugged in fine... I've read that on a lot of emachine models that the power supply isn't great enough.. well I had replaced it and its still acting up.. especially today it wouldn't even go, tried for hours messed with everything till I took out my newer power supply and graphics card and put the old one back in but it still took a lot of fiddling around and about an hour or so till I could get it to work...
Any ideas what exactly is happening to my computer? :(
Thanks.
-Court

What are the specifications of the newer power supply? Brand, model, watts, and amps on the +12v rail or rails. Check the side of the power supply. There should be a sticker with this info.

If you can get it to run.....

Go to "Control Panel" (in classic view), then click on "Power management", give us a shout as to what are your settings. If your old PSU was doing the same thing, your "ACPI" (Advanced Configuration Power Interface) settings could be wrong.
The new supply's "soft off" could be malfunctioning. Or, in the case of an Intel board, the ""Quick Resume Technology" driver could be corrupt. You could have forgotten to plug something back in. IE; the 4 wire plug for the processor.

I dont have a Power Management.. I have Power Options but it doesn't have anything in it.. but I really dont know about power suppy stuff

I should have said the power supply specifications can usually be read from a sticker on the side of the power supply but you have to remove the side cover of the PC to see it.

The T6532 has a motherboard that fails early, and is not repairable. You could be in the early stages of a total failure, as what you describe are the early signs. The motherboard failure causes the power supply to fail, not the other way around. And a larger, better power supply does not seem to help. We have now recorded 341 of these.
Suggest you save your data immediately.
When it goes, a replacement board is $159.95, not including shipping. Without a new motherboard, your hard drive will usually not work in another brand of motherboard, and your recovery disc set will not work.
In most cases the CPU and CPU fan are good, as are the memory, modem, hard drive, floppy drive, and optical drives... but you will not be able to access your data in another non-eMachines computer until you install a new version of Windows XP. If you install the WXP OEM version, you will wipe out the data on your hard drive.
Save everything you can now.
Please send us the part number from the motherboard, as well as the manufacturer, if listed. Most of these boards are designed by Intel and others, but built under license, by Tri-Gem of Korea.
eMachines knows this problem is very wide spread, but if your warranty has expired, they will do nothing for you, except sell you another board that will also go bad in about two years or less, on average.
Our choice would be to replace the board with another which can use your CPU and memory, then buy a new version of WXPH for $65 to $87 depending upon vendor. Now that you have the good power supply, the motherboard replacement and WXP OS will give you a workable computer... but you must save your data, in our experience, before your fix is complete.
Good luck to you.

I was able to get XP MCE 2005 off of Tiger Direct for around $100 If you get the MCE rather than home, you can do a repair install.

The restore CD's require the match with the programmed EEPROM chip on the motherboard. Any eMachines restore CD that is coded to work with that EEPROM will work... No restore CD from elsewhere will work.
If the WXP Media Center is the eMachines disc, it will work fine.

Im having the same problem with my t6532. expect its completly gone now. Wont start up. just the fans. I already found out about the MB going bad. So if all the emachine boards will crap out in relativly short time what can be done? I have alot of data on my harddrive I dont want to lose! Epecially my Adobe CS3. which I have since lost the install disks.

If I get another board with similar specs will it work in my puter? what will I need to do?

Im savy a bit with puters but not with issues that involve hardware....

Your hard drive remains good. Suggest you obtain an external POWERED USB enclusure and install your eMachine drive in it... then you can copy all files and folders to another computer. I like the Vantec Nextar 3 brand... about $24 to $32 in most online shops.
The manufacturing process used to make the motherboards (usually TriGem of Korea) which are licensed copy of Intel boards and other brands means that the motherboard begins to curl and stretch in ways that breaks connections or allows the Northbridge or Southbridge to pull out... or the capacitors pull lose or just go bad.
But the hard drive, memory, CPU, CPU cooler, and modem are good. The motherboard and power supply are bad... as are too many of the power switches.

The only good motherboard that I ever pulled from an emachine was a biostar K8M800-M. The reason why I call it good is because the southbridge has SATA RAID!!! The board has a VIA VT8237R southbridge. The RAID becomes functional after a flash of the BIOS to get rid of the emachines bios. It is a good board, just lacking overclocking capability and is a little picky on what kind of graphics card you put in it. The only card it likes is my GeForce FX 5200 but that's no big deal since it's a decent card for XP (and no i'm not a gamer so don't start saying "oh you need a better card". My main system has a Radeon HD 3450 and it has just enough power for what I do with it and that's of course google earth and HD video playback, scores a 4.0 in vista. But yeah, pretty much every other board I have pulled from an emachine was dead. And the trigem boards are the worst of all. Not just the capacitors on some of them but the overall layout of them is terrible. I have a dead trigem imperial board on my wall that has a bunch of bad caps, had a tiny northbridge heatsink on it considering that the graphics is integrated into it and it's intel cousin has a much bigger heatsink on the northbridge. And to mention on the imperial board, they decided it would be best to put the 20-pin ATX connector where the AGP slot would typically be located on the board. I also have a trigem dublin board which bit the bullet recently (windows would crash during setup) The surprising thing about this one is that it actually has Rubycon capacitors on it. Trigem actually made one smart move for once and used Japanese caps on their board... and those aren't bad, no swollen tops on them after around 6 years of use. I used to think that the Bestec PSU's were the primary cause of why emachines fail, but now I think it's the other way around.

LOL i just noticed that my previous post was from around this time last year(2008)

I agree with you but..... my friend tim has recently built a system with pretty much the same board except it's model# is K8M800-MicroAM2 and of course you can tell by the model, it's an AM2 board. I understand that you work on these all the time but I don't think all of them are licensed under trigem., and this one is definitely not licensed by Intel... it's an AMD Socket 754 board. You can look at the back of the system and see who actually manufactured the system. TriGem makes some of them but there are others like FIC who take parts as well. I mean if this particular board was licensed under trigem, then what is is doing with a RAID southbridge??? As a matter of fact the bios on this board isn't even close to what trigem uses, in terms of limitations of the setup utility.. The only things this board lacks it the Frequency/Voltage control and advanced memory settings, otherwise, the setup utility has just as many features as a lot of the retail boards I have laying around. Note... emachines has slightly changed on their motherboards a little... I don't see many trigem boards in their systems anymore. And... this motherboard was pulled from an emachine that was made in 2005... was donated to goodwill computer works and I bought it "case only" because the RAM and hard drive was pulled from it. Otherwise, everything was still there. It had a Bestec 300w PSU. I agree with you on the licensing but not quite so sure about this particular board. I mentioned the SATA RAID it comes with, but also note... this board is filled with Rubycon (Japanese) capacitors - pretty much everywhere on it where a capacitor belongs. The only thing this board is missing is 1394 firewire..

The primary 'problem' boards I have seen are the TriGem Imperial, Intel D845GVSR(some revisions have faulty caps), FIC AM37, and ECS L7VMM2 which I believe the CPU Power regulators fail on these by not supplying adequate power to the CPU because they give the same symptoms that a typical board with an ATX 12v lead for CPU power would give you if you forgot to plug in the 12V ATX connector. I think the main problem with those 2 is that they route the CPU's power through the 20-pin ATX connector and that may lead to burning out the traces that supply the power for the CPU, which is probably the main reason the 12v atx connector was invented by intel in the 1st place(i believe intel came up with the idea because it was nicknamed Pentium4 connector on a lot of PSU's)

Hardly any of the eMachines motherboards are labeled as TriGem... but the failed ones we worked on were made by them under license... most often the design was from Intel... I don't know who did the AMD boards for them.

Most of the failed eMachine boards do not have faulty capacitors either. They failed from internal stresses as the motherboard material stretched, shrunk, or curled.

We spent a great deal of time preparing for a law suit against eMachines, and had motherboard engineers carefully disassemble them and take them down to where we could identify the failure.

In most cases the defective board created problems that caused the power supply to fail, so the often quoted story of the defective Bestec power supply causing the eMachine failure was untrue...

The main problem was that eMachines knew the boards were bad, and continued to sell them, and use them as warranty replacements... causing the owner unnecessary loss of data.

Yeah and just look at how expensive their replacement boards are... it's ridiculous. For example... the TriGem Imperial board... they want $189 for a junk 2002 compliant Socket 478 board.. add 5-10 dollars more and you'll get the grand total for how much I paid to upgrade my motherboard, PSU, CPU, RAM and graphics card to upgrade my custom system to Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit!!! Yeah eMachines should get sued for how they treat their customers. But what gets me is you'd think the way emachines is with their replacements, they would make their stuff so proprietary but the only thing of their systems that is actually proprietary is their restore CD.... But I was experimenting one day and I used a restore CD from a W2888 system to just see if it would work or not... I threw in an Asus P4B533-VM motherboard which has similar onboard hardware of that of the D845GVSR board that's in the W2888, and it worked! But anyway, the rest of the system is not proprietary... you could pretty much fit any retail mATX motherboard in an emachines case. I use them all the time in small form factor builds. Their front panel connectors for the buttons and LEDs are just like the ones in all of my retail cases... labeled(eg: HDD LED, POWER LED) and separated for different styles of motherboards. Their front panel audio connections will fit any board with AC'97 audio. Their USB connectors are standard to fit pretty much all motherboards, same goes for the card readers. And you could fit pretty much any standard sized ATX PSU in their cases as well. It's a huge difference to how HP/Compaq cases are designed. I see what you mean about the Bestec PSU's. I'm starting to trust them enough to re-use the lightly-used ones(lol the ones that don't have that much dust on the fans in small low-power builds for my friends... after blowing them out with my compressor using the blower attachment and then test them to make sure that the emachines board didn't ruin them first.

I can't complain about emachines too much cuz back in 2002 my mom needed a new computer for a really cheap price, so she bought a T1840 and bought 512MB of RAM to add to the small 128MB it came with and she added the RAM herself. My mom didn't have much money at the time. She relied on that emachine to do her ebay stuff (to make a living). It ran pretty much for months at a time, non stop, survived a summer without A/C (almost 90 degree temps!) and when my mom moved in with my dad which had the W2888, the T1840 experienced it's sudden death during a thunderstorm of 2006. It's fried TriGem board hangs on my bedroom wall to this day. That faithful emachine stayed alive when it was needed and died when it's time was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back