Emachines C2480 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has an emachines C2480 and has been using it for a couple years now with no problems. It is a AM37 mobo with an AMD Athlon 2400+ processor. Yesterday, her keyboard quit working (she had said this had started a few days before but returned to working after rebooting). I took her keyboard and put it on my PC and it did not work there so I then took my keyboard and put it on her PC to verify it would fix the problem. Well, guess what, my keyboard didn't work on her machine, and now doesn't work on my PC when I switched it back. Her machine will boot up but keyboard is dead (and seems to fry a different keyboard if you plug it in to her machine)!! ouch!!!

So what gives? Power problem taking out the keyboard? Mobo failure taking out the keyboard? I am really clueless as to how to trouble shoot this problem. I will need to go to some store today to get a new keyboard(s) for our desktops. Thankfully, I still have my laptop to get to this forum.

I have been reading thru the posts here about emachines failure rate and am very surprised. We have had multiple emachine desktops thru the years and most of them are still running for our kids and grandkids with few problems. I guess we have been lucky.

thanks
Woodie

Thanks Rik

I had already read thru the thread you indicated with all the PSU problems.

Be happy to add a PSU to the shopping list as a precaution, however, the system will boot up and everything works but the keyboard. Mobo problem? Bios problem? PSU problem? As I stated, first keyboard went out, I swapped a different keyboard in and it also went out and neither now work in a different machine.

Is this indicative of a PSU type problem or a mobo type problem? or ???

thanks again,
Woodie

Its most likely that the psu has caused damage to the mobo unfortunately!!!!

You may get away with a usb keyboard in the short term but i suspect the mobo will need to be replaced at some point!!!!

just a quick thank you to all who participate and support this forum. As a first step, I replaced the power supply and all is working fine at this point using a usb keyboard.

Keeping my fingers crossed.........

thanks again
Woodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back