EMachines computer won't boot after installing programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredarmando

Hello. How's everyone doing?

I find myself faced with a weird problem. I purchased a factory refurbished eMachines computer about 6 months ago. I only took it out of the box about 2 weeks ago and proceeded to get it to work. I haven't had a problem with it until today. I installed 2 programs and now the machine won't boot.

FYI, system details are as follows: eMachines T5230, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ processor with 2GB of RAM, running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.

Today the machine was working perfectly. Then I installed Nero 8 Ultra Edition, which required a restart. No problems. Then I installed iTunes 7.6 with Quicktime, and the machine still appeared fine. Then I noticed that the optical drive wouldn't eject manually. I tried ejecting via software, but found that the drive wasn't there. It wasn't being recognized by Windows. (Earlier today I used it without a problem.) So I shut down the system and tried to turn it back on. That's when I hit the big problem. It stayed stuck on the eMachines screen (black screen with a big "e" and the "Boot Options" and "BIOS Setup" choices). I tried pressing F10 for boot options and F2 for BIOS, to no avail. So I turned off the computer and tried again. This time I just left it alone for a while. It took about 10 minutes, but the computer moved on from the eMachines screen, on to a black screen saying the following:

MediaShield ROM BIOS 6.94
Copyright (C) 2006 NVIDIA Corp.
Detecting array...

No matter what I do, it won't go any further. I tried pressing either F10 or F2 immediately after turning the machine on, but it doesn't work. I tried contacting eMachines support, but they won't help me, unless I pay their ridiculously high support fees, since the computer is out of warranty.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I need to at least be able to boot in safe mode to restore my machine back to what it was before I installed those two programs. I have a feeling it may have something to do with Nero, rather than iTunes. Nero has that virtual drive feature. Couldn't that interfere with the boot?

Thank you all in advance for your help with this problem.

Best regards,

Fred Armando

The hard drive may be bad... If you know how to check it or replace it, good. If you don't have this knowledge, you will have to take it to a repair shop

Hi Tmagic,

Thank you for your suggestion. What puzzles me is the optical drive disappearing first, though.

So you don't think it had anything to do with the installation of the two programs? Once I had a problem trying to install Alcohol 120 on my other system (dual core AMD). Windows would simply not boot. After restoring the system from scratch and arriving at the exact same problem immediately after installing Alcohol 120 again, I simply restored Windows to the point before Alcohol and solved the problem. I figured it had something to do with its virtual drive feature. That's why I thought something like that was happening now with Nero. But this time I can't even boot in safe mode.

I have a feeling I may have to end up doing exactly what you suggest. However, I will wait to see if anyone else replies with another idea. I don't mean to knock your suggestion, but it involves buying a new HD and restoring the computer from scratch.

Thank you again for your help.

It is an eMachines... They are noted for bad power supplies and bad motherboards. Let's go after memory now. Can you open the case and swap memory modules if you have two?

Hi Tmagic,

When I got the computer out of the box 2 weeks ago, I upgraded the memory to 2GB from Crucial.com. But what I can do is try the old sticks on to see if that's the problem.

So you do think it's a straight hardware problem, correct? Nothing software-related?

Thanks for your help, man!

Are you running XP on it? Is XP fully updated to SP3? If not, do that when you can. Yes, swap out the new memory with the old and test

Hi Tmagic and insoman,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I have tried taking out the Crucial memory sticks and using the ones that came with the machine. Nothing changed.

I also tried acessing the BIOS, but nothing I press from the time I turn on the computer until it gets stuck has any effect. It goes to the black eMachines screen with the two choices ("Boot Options" and "BIOS Setup") and then to the black screen with the "Detecting Array..." message. That's where it gets stuck.

I really ran out of ideas. I can't go to BIOS, I can't recover, I can't get eMachines to help, unless I pay them $60 for 30 minutes of support, with no guarantees...

I hope one of you can help me out with some suggestions.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Unplug the power cord from the power supply and pull the silver button battery out of the motherboard. Wait a few minutes and put the button battery back in and power up the system

Thank you again, Tmagic.

I tried what you said. I disconnected the power cord, pulled the battery out, waited 10 minutes, and put the battery back in. Upon getting powered up, the computer behaved exactly as before, getting stuck on that screen.

At this point, I'm hoping it's and HD problem rather than a motherboard issue. What do you think?

Yes fredarmando,
go with another hard drive and reinstall XP fresh. If you can get through the XP install, good. If you can't, something else is bad... Like your motherboard or other installed cards and devices

emacine problem---same thing as armando

Hey guys, thanx soooo much for the informational dialogue. I working on a frineds emachine who dwnloaded everything...including viruses. I've been trying the steps mentioned. But yeah, I am seriously thinking about getting the HD replaced...maybe expand the RAM. Personally, would much rather suggest they get a "mutt" over emachines. I like "mutts" because I know exactly what's in it.

Armando thanx for letting me know what emachine tech support charges. I did talk to them and they suggested the same thing. I said no.

Anyway, I found a similar HD at newegg.com for as little as $50.00-$60.00,
and RAM chip for as low as $20.00. Check with computer retails they might have the similar material for about the same price.
I'm gonna go look and I'll let y'all know. Granted I'm probably in a different town than you, but who knows.
Peace
Mike

Hi everyone,

Insoman: I'm using the standard multifunction keyboard that came with my eMachines computer.

Mikeodelld: I'm glad this thread was of help to you as well. I was looking at Newegg, too. Their stuff is inexpensive and good. They also have an excellent return policy. I haven't yet bought the hard drive, though. I had to set the computer aside for the time being and concentrate on other things. But I'll get to it in the next couple of weeks. If the HD is not the problem, I'll just go ahead and cannibalize that system for parts and build another one from scratch.

Thank you all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back