Emachines mobo & PS fried, changed and now audio device not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here, just getting into working on my computers.

I have an old eMachines T2895, 2.8 GHz celeron, 120 GB Hdd, 512 Mb DDR RAM, Realtek ALC655 onboard audio chip, running on XP home.

Here is my issue. The notorious eMachine power supply fried, taking the mobo with it. The old mobo is an MSI 6714 GV. I replaced the PS with a good one from newegg. I found a used mobo from a supply house, but it was a newer revision mobo. Its a MSI 6714 GVP. After installation, everything works fine, except no audio devices recognized or listed. Reloaded drivers from manu website, but nothing. Could it be that the hardware is not added? Where is the add hardware options located? Could this be because the mobo was previously using a sound card? If so, how do i change the settings back to onboard audio? Can anyone suggest why audio devices aren't being recognized, or what my problem might be?

All help would be appreciated.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Un-install any audio software.
In "device manager" look for any "yellow "?" ", if none, check the bios for audio settings.
If it had a sound card previously then the onboard audio has been disabled in the bios.

G'Luck

Since he swapped mobos, wouldn't the default soundsetting in BIOS be ON/Enabled ?
You may not only need audio drivers, but mobo-drivers as well, corresponding with the onboard chipset.

RUstoney2 said:
I found a used mobo from a supply house, but it was a newer revision mobo. Its a MSI 6714 GVP.
RealBlackStuff said:
Since he swapped mobos, wouldn't the default soundsetting in BIOS be ON/Enabled ?
Normally I would think so too, I only suspected the "audio off" since it was a used MoBo.
I believe if he has windows installed w/o sound working, bios was good place to start looking.
Hope he posts back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I haven't had time to look into this with the holiday, so I will be digging into it today or tomorrow.

Windows is installed, but no sound. I did not think of re-installing mobo drivers. I will try this, along with checking bios setting for audio, and will let you know what I find.

There is no yellow ? in the device manager.

Thanks for the help

BIOS setting is on auto for onboard sound.

Re-installed both mobo and AC97 drivers. No audio device detected, when I go to device manager, there are audio codecs, but no volume mixer, and no audio device.

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong???

I guess I could install a sound card, but would really like to fix what I have (if possible). So my next question, if I buy a sound card and install, will that fix my no audio problem?

If you still got the original mobo-CD, check if it had specific sound-programs and/or drivers on it. Chances are good it would also work on the newer mobo.

If you can change the BIOS from auto to off, it should indeed work.
Cheap audiocards cost about $10-15

Thanks again for all the help!!

The old mobo came in a computer bundle from Best Buy (cpu, monitor, printer...), and I have the disks (3 in the set I think), but I believe that will wipe the whole thing clean back to original purchase status. Can only desired parts of these disks be used? I dont want to wipe out my HDD.

For $15 I mine as well buy a sound card and save my time, but I am pretty anal about trying to figure things out, and would love to figure this one out.

Any suggestions for cheap sound cards?

Im looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustR...&SortField=0&SummaryType=ALL&Pagesize=&Page=2

It seems like the cheapest that is compatible with XP.

RUstoney2 said:
Can only desired parts of these disks be used? I dont want to wipe out my HDD.
Yes you can browse the cd's without installing anything or wiping system out.
Look for a folder like drivers or sound. You could do a search on the cd's for: Realtek ALC655.
A separate sound card will take a load off the cpu and well worth it. IMO.
That A-Open should work just fine for you...

Best of G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back