Emachines motherboard question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Emachines T2642, that has stopped working. Searching for help, I came accross incidents of the same type, and results that the motherboard wasn't working, so I came to the same conclusion. I assume either my motherboard or the PSU doesn't work. I was considering purchasing a motherboard from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138262 Since I read these are compatible, but a friend of mine told me that since I have a DDR 333 RAM, i'd have to find a motherboard with the same memory standard if I want to keep using the RAM I already have. Any help or suggestions on this?

Also, I have Windows XP Home SP2 installed on the HDD, but I only have Win Prof CD. I read on the microsoft website that if u r replacing a mobo, you can just repair Windows instead of reinstalling, would I still need a Home CD, or would Prof work as well? I emailed them but haven't gotten a response yet.

What would be a good PSU to get, as i've read here that I migt as well get a new one just in case, and replace the already old one. The current one I have is abt 250V. I've had my PC for about 3 years. I'm only looking to spend around $100 - $200. Can't afford anything more as of now. Thanks in advance.

Although the motherboard may be an exact duplicate, the serial # is not. Part of the verification process is checking the serial #. Once you swap motherboards, windows should recognize a change and refuse to cooperate. Part of this "repair" process M$ is talking about it re-registering the machine. Follow M$ directions. Windows XP is only licensed and configured for one motherboard at a time.

Also when E-crap machines blow their power supplies they generally take out the motherboard as well. You can get a 350W psu for around $40

Sorry for the late reply, as I don't hae a PC, I can only use my sisters macbook every so often. Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did read the emachines sticky before posting. What I was concerned about was not buying the motherboard itself, but about the RAM, since I have a 333, and the board is a 400. I don't know much about them because I've never bought RAM for my PC (didn't really need it). As for the Windows thing, as I said, I don't have a Home XP copy, and i'm sure not going to spend $200 for one, but I have a Pro CD. I'm not even sure if I can "repair" the Windows on the HDD without losing everything in it. I pretty much already knew once I got a new motherboard, I'd have to do a new reinstall, but it sux if I lose everything in it.

One question that just came to my mind, the PSU in the PC is 250W, I have 3 HDDs in it, so i was considering buying a 300W PSU. Any suggestions on that? Should I buy a higher power one? I'll probably jusy buy one extra stick of RAM, and no other hardware, so in all I'm using 3 HDDs, a CD RW, floppy, and the motherboard, etc.

Need to buy thermo resin solution for the heatsink, since it came off..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back