emachines T2682
2.60 Ghz Intel Cerelon
CD/RW 48x
DVD Rom 16X
80GB HDD
56K Mdm
256 MB
3d Intel Extreme Graphics AGP

Replaced Power supply with an Antec 500 W Basiq model.

PROBLEM: Seeing that the previous power supply was dead so after installing the replacement I noticed that the Power Light just stays yellow. The processorfan does not turn on nor does my harddrive spin. However, if I unplug the IDE connection to the hard drive, the power HDD spins. I noticed when I power off the computer (by off switch on PSU - CPU power button completely unresponsive) the Processor fan slightly moves.

THOUGHTS: I've read several post on this site that point to bad PSU causing MoBo problems with the emachines. I chalked it up as the MoBo being dead, but when I saw the fan attempting to move I thought I could be incorrect. Any ideas?

This is my first post so I apolgize to all if this is not in the right place or forum.

Thank

The motherboard is bad and it will need to be replaced. If you can find a board that will accept the old CPU and memory you can save some money. You will need to use a separate Windows Operating System disc. Any eMachines discs will be useless with the new motherboard

Just checking but does the motherboard have the 2x2 12V power connector on it that you might have overlooked connecting to the power supply? If that's not it, it could very well be that when the old PSU died, it took out other components. Just because some power gets through to some components doesn't mean all the other circuits or components are fine.

Definitely has the 2x2 12V power connector and it's connected. This particular PSU has two of the 2x2's but one doesn't have secire-clip. Sounds like you guys are correct though. I don't even know if it's worth it trying to find another MoBo but I'll leave that up to the guy I'm repairing it for. Thanks for your feedback.

I usually gut all eMachines I get and routinely replace the power supplies and motherboards, upgrading the CPU, memory and hard drives... The only thing left of the original is the computer case.

More often I trash the whole system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back