TechSpot

Emachines T2042 power supply replacement

By sidrastralia
May 28, 2010
  1. I have an Emachines T2042. The power supply fried and needs replacing. I understand upgrade to 300 is better than replacing with the same as it came with. I also have a PowerSpec 8920. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the PS 8920 "stocked" power supply would work & fit in my E T2042? Not familiar with the elec. requirements, etc. Thanks!

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Since this is an introduction forum this is not the best place to seek help for your issue. Ask the mods to place this under the General Hardware forum and you will receive good, solid advice.

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Don't waste your time. The 2042 was one of the most failure prone of all computers built since 2002... The motherboard was built by eMachines from a design they bought from Intel. It had a tendency to curl and twist...breaking some of the circuits and ruining the computer.. It is not the power supply that is bad, but the motherboard that causes the power supply to fail from short circuits.

I can just about guarantee that model will never work again... but the cpu, cpu fan, memory, optical drive, and hard drive remain good if put in another motherboard... that is not an eMachines unit.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.