Emachines T2692 problem, ps or motherboard, does not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
February 20th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Hello eyerybody.
I have an Emachines T2692 with a 2.6G celeron D. A few days ago it was working fine when suddenly it went dead with the front panel light flashing on and off accompanied by a clicking sound. I switched it off and restarted it a few minutes later, and it then appeared to be working fine.

Last night I left it on while I had dinner, and when I returned the same thing was happening. I removed the back, and I noticed that the Power supply fan is on, but the CPU fan is not. The CPU did not appear to be hot, so it seems like there is no power to the CPU. After swiched it off again any further attempt to reboot the machine fail. Now the PC does not start at all anymore.

Is this a motherboard or a power supply problem? How would I check?
Thanks for every comment or suggestion.
Hank

Given it's an Emachine probably both.Unfortinutally Emachines especially older ones have cheap under rated powersupplies with no overvoltage protection. These power supplies tend to die after 2 or 3 years and take the motherboard and sometimes other components with them.
First replace the powersupply and if that doesn't work replace the motherboard.

Here are some good but relatively cheap choices.
Powersupply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103463

Motherboard:

MSI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130519

Biostar
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138262

All of these options will get your computer back online for less than $100.
Don't for get to order thermal paste to re adhere yout heatsink and fan to your processer or a new heatsink and fan sience there cheap and Emachines usually includes a lousey one.
Here are some heatsinks and fans for your processer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010110062+1294418667+1057708561&Subcategory=62&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

Thanks for the fast reply,
I hooked up a different ps from my Sony desktop and the pc was starting to act up the same way as before. I guess the ps is out as well as the mb. Any suggestions on what kind of mb and ps I should look at. Obviously I don't want to spend too much , considering the purchase price of $ 199.
Thanks,
Hank :bounce:

Too Funny

That's an awsome description of what just happened to my emachines on Monday. Did you buy yours after thanksgiving 2004 also??

Anyway, I smelt burning and when I felt my Intel SouthBridge is was extremely hot. I tried another PSU also and I got nothing.

I'm in the process of buying a new mobo and PSU as we speak. I'm going to try to salvage all the other components - and buy them piecemeal only if I have to. I'm looking at getting one with the same chipset so I hopefully don't have to setup a new HDD.

After looking I found the following Mobo.
MSI 865GVM2-LS Socket 478 Intel 865GV Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail.
The egg has this for a great price.

I found this at TG and with the rebate (ONLY FOR CANADIANS :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ):
Asus P4V8X-MX Via Socket 478 MicroATX Motherboard and an Intel Celeron D 340 2.93GHz OEM Processor.

Emachine Turkey Day 2003

Yup. Mine went down last night and I bought it Thanksgiving 2003. Keep me posted on well the rest of you do.

Computer back up

I installed the MSI MOBO (along with a Celeron 330 and a new PSU).

Everything is fine. I didn't even have to reinstall windows. I booted with my windows XP Pro upgrade and went through the motions to reinstall. It gets to a point where it says that the OS is bad and offers to repair it. I said yes and all is good.

I had to get the computer back up fast, I purposly bought a MOBO with Intel chips because I wanted the least hassle with windows. Although, if you look at the egg, there are killer :hotbounce deals on ASUS/Celeron combos. Too bad my wife uses this computer for her job and needed it working pronto, because that is way better than what I got/paid.

Now I know that this Computer is a cheapo and I just threw $60 + $79 + $33 into it, I think that after checking the power supply out I maybe could've gotten away with only buying the MOBO or at most the MOBO and PSU, but the computer works amazingly well for what my wife uses it for (as a file server) and with all the new guts, should be good for a lot longer than the OEM equipment.

emachines are garbage.. i have one, the only reason why i bought it was becasue i was a newb at the time and new nothing about computers.

if you have any problems with ur emachine... call the service number at the bottom of ur comp... talk to customer service and they will arrange for ur comp to b fixed for free.

there doin it for my emachines computer rite now..

I've got 3 of the emachines T-2692's... So far two of them have fried the motherboards. I guess I better keep an extra board around for when the third one goes... They were all purchased day after thanksgiving 2003 at Best Buy. A tell-tale sign is if windows shuts down, but the power light on the unit continues to stay on. Also, if you unplug the unit from the wall, and the CPU fan starts up as soon as you plug it back in, you most likely have a fried motherboard. I easily replaced mine for less than $100, but the biggest problem was re-installing XP, after the hardware change. If you use the restore disk that came with the unit, you will likely lose any data saved on your hard drive. I was able to install a newer version and save all my data. Another good reason to back up your data. Because, with the T-2692, it is just a matter of time before the board fails.

Exactly the same problem here. I got my T2692 for thanksgiving 2003 at best buy.

The problem is exactly the same and i smelt something burning too. Now i dont know what all componets are fried. I hope the ram is intact !

Mostly I would buy a new desktop machine now that there are some deals going on and use all the componets which are alive in this on to that.

Thanks all of you for sharing your experience.

emachine w2247 fried

pretty much the same here, my emachines w2247 bought 2003 motherboard fried the other day. my keyboard was acting funny and i switched it while it was on(which ive done before w/ no probs) with another one i had, well ,when i shut it down i smelled burning so i flipped the switch on the surge protector. the next day flipped it back on and suddenlly the fan was on without me starting up the pc. took it in and was told the mb is fried. so now im trying to find another mb. I NEED whats on my hd. dont really wanna make it a slave drive if i dont have to.I really dont know what to do. my mb is AM37 AMD Athlon™ XP 2000+ 1.667 GHz whats compatible so i dont have to change cpu,reinstall windows and keep my data on the hd?

I need help!

Hey! My Emachines T2692 stopped working back in March and back in April we bought the parts for it. The only thing is, the new motherboard which we ordered (MSI- the one that was recommended on this site) is different from the one that came with the computer. I was wondering if any of you all had some cross reference information as to what pin goes where or if you don't mind helping me out.

Thanks.

welcome to techspot guys :)

in the future, you should start a new thread when you have a question. don't steal somebody elses.

as far as the pin connections go, is it one big connector or individual connectors? emachines isn't going to help you, so the only way to know what goes where is to trace each wire back to see what it goes to, then look in your new mobo manual where to plug it in. the only one you actually need is the power switch.

it its one big connector, you may need swap some pins or spice the wires. if they're individual connectors, then no modifications are necessary.

good luck :)

The power supplies eMachined used didnt have over-voltage protection so when they blew they also took out the motherboard. eMachines want $160 for the motherboard. Which MSI board did you use Nolando?

if you need whats on your HD

I had a simular problem today with my emachine T2885, i was able however to successfully remove the HD(western digital), take off the jumper which had the HD configured as "cable select," then put the hardrive in an external HD case, and recover my data from the HD to another computer(it did not work till i pulled the jumper that was on the cable select option). Hope it helps

John

skl5973 said:
pretty much the same here, my emachines w2247 bought 2003 motherboard fried the other day. my keyboard was acting funny and i switched it while it was on(which ive done before w/ no probs) with another one i had, well ,when i shut it down i smelled burning so i flipped the switch on the surge protector. the next day flipped it back on and suddenlly the fan was on without me starting up the pc. took it in and was told the mb is fried. so now im trying to find another mb. I NEED whats on my hd. dont really wanna make it a slave drive if i dont have to.I really dont know what to do. my mb is AM37 AMD Athlon™ XP 2000+ 1.667 GHz whats compatible so i dont have to change cpu,reinstall windows and keep my data on the hd?

Emachines T2778 probs

I purchase a used broke Emachines T2778 and you plug it up the fan starts running and power button flashes,I see others has same prob.Anyone know where i can get a low price mother board?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back