emachines wont boot-lines through "e" symbol screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i try to boot my cpu it shows the "E" symbol with white lines through it and sometimes they are flashing. after about twice as long as it usually takes to get to the next screen, it gets there but there are green vertical rectangles that flash all over the screen. i have gotten my cpu to boot once perfectly and i ran an avg free virus scan and it found nothing. i also got into safe mode and i opened spybot search n destroy. as i opened it an error message popped up and said that the program has been changed since it was last used...and then the screen went blank and there the "e" symbol is with those lines through it again:mad:. at this point i just turned the cpu off. this is the second day this had been happening and i unplugged the cpu over night. its a desktop and the power went off about a week ago and there was a power surge right after that while i was away on vacation. i went away for 2 1/2 weeks and it was working perfectly before i left
any ideas?

The most probable cause of this is a failing capacitor on the main board. E-Machines are known for it. You may not have many chances so the next time you get it to work, backup your data files.
If under warranty, take it back to the shop.

Well my warranty expired and somehow I got it to boot up for a couple minutes. I ran another AVG scan and I started to backup my iTunes music library, but my computer started a cycle of rebooting when it gets to my desktop. Immidiately when I got it to boot fully, a spybot search n destroy teatimer (I think thats what it is called) popped up and asked if I was going to allow the "KernelFaultCheck" to delete some system startup files or something. I didnt click anything and just kept it in the background while i ran Itunes and AVG.

Get what you can from it then dump it, e-machines are the worst quality pc's out there with sony vaio's a very close second.

id rather not pay to get another cpu. well i did get it to work again but then it kept going into a cycle of rebooting at the windows "splash screen". now its back to its old ways and its doing the weird "e" symbol with lines through it

Replacing your cpu will not fix your problem.

Replacing your pc will.

The lines through the e probably means the graphics card is dying, cheapo e-machines usually have the graphics card built in to the mobo, therefore the mobo will need replacing. E-machines are usually fitted with extremely low quality psu's that usually damage the mobo so that will need replacing too. Buying all those replacement parts from e-machine will cost an arm and a leg, believe me, it will be cheaper to buy a proper pc!!!

emachines.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back