TechSpot

Email Client (Like Outlook Express)

By kemp_Drumsalot
Nov 14, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone. I am interested in finding an email application that you can run, like the one from microsoft, but that will allow me to import everything i have (as well as continue brining my mail from) my yahoo account. Any suggestions?

*Update*
    I found the program from Firefox called Thunderbird, but I am having trouble setting up the account. I am trying to import a yahoo mail account. Anyone able to help?
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I do believe you can only use your Yahoo! account via POP3/SMTP if you subscribe to the premium service. You can import your contacts but that's about it.
  3. kemp_Drumsalot

kemp_Drumsalot Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 66

Hmm, I was told that by downloading an extension it would work, but when I try to install the extension to thunderbird, it says its not valid.
  4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

you can run the basic yahoo email account in IE - servers are pop.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail,yahoo.com. Works a treat and gets you away from all the crap advertising too.
  5. kemp_Drumsalot

So I just need to use those server names in the Thunderbird app or do I need a different application for it to work?
  6. AlbertLionheart

should do - and watch for the typo in the smtp address - should be smtp.mail.yahoo.com for outgoing mail. I have not tried it with T/bird but it should work OK. For your username it is just the bit before the @ sign, your password is as usual.
  7. kemp_Drumsalot

See, thats what I was having trouble with yesterday, there is no place FOR my password (I am not at home at this time otherwise I would go through again). Is there a different program you use?
  8. AlbertLionheart

If you use outlook express, you can either tun the wizard to set up your email accounts of do it manually. You need to open outlook express > tools > accounts > mail > add > mail > display name = whatever you want > next > email address = your email address > next > incoming and outgoing mail servers = what I told you above > next > account name = your email address before the @ sign and your password in the box below. Click finish and then see if it works.
  9. kemp_Drumsalot

Well, now it finally made it to asking me for my pasword, but it says its incorrect.
  10. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

try webmail plugin and the yahoo plugin
    load webmail first
    I have msn email coming through thunderbird
    and gmail
    got to warn its a pain they break all the time
    some allow imapi setup do a search for tuts on it
  11. Didou

Like I said, you can use POP on Yahoo! only if you subscribe to Yahoo! Mail Plus. You would have to use a plugin otherwise, why not try to fiddle around with the one Samstoned has suggested ?

12. AlbertLionheart

then if everything else is OK then there is a problem with the password. I know what Didou says, but I have a bog standard non special free yahoo account which I set up on OE and it worked first time out and is still working.
  13. Didou

Well I know for a fact that Yahoo! accounts with a different domain (such as yahoo.fr) can use those features for free. The Yahoo.com accounts need the extra (paid for) options for it to work though.
  14. AlbertLionheart

different countries = different standards of service and facilities.
    This is not helping kemo_Drumsalot - wonder where he has got to so far on this?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.