Emergency disk recovery help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been nursing an old HP 9694C. But I ordered a replacement, a Dell Dimension 8400 (1GB, 80GB, 3.4MHz). It's due here tomorrow.

In ways I really don't want to talk about (i.e., embarassingly stupid), I managed to toast the HP (as in melted boards and smoke). I've been working with PC's for 30 years and I still don't believe I did it.

Anyway, the HP hard drive is still good and I really want/need my data off it. It is a Maxtor 94098U8 40GB, configured as master (duh), J50 jumpered.

I am not really a hardware pro, but I can hold my own. Can someone tell me, in English, not computereeze how to set up the Maxtor drive and the Dell Dimension so that I can plug the Maxtor in long enough to do the transfer?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Pfaff

what version OS are you going to use
should just be able to connect to 2nd connection on cable
remove jumper from master and make slave
new pc should already have HDD setup as master
you don't say if this is going to be your boot drive or?
(1GB, 80GB, 3.4MHz).?

The old disk was a WinXP Pro boot volume. The new one currently has WinXP Home, but will be changed to Pro soon.

I did find the jumper configuration on the Maxtor website, so I can slave the old drive easily enough. But it's an old drive, so my plan was to remove it after the data transfer.

Thanks!

Rob

Just because it is an older Hdd , doesn't mean toss it after your data transfer.
If it is still working (not making weird noise ,or giving data errors)
Leave it as a slave drive - Back-ups and storage.
If you do not try to run apps on it ,it will not slow your main Hdd down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back