Employee-only white Xbox Ones hit eBay starting at $1,800

Shawn Knight

Staff member

exclusive white xbox selling ebay xbox one

Back in August, a number of Microsoft employees were gifted an exclusive white and silver Xbox One as the company’s way of saying “thanks” for the hard work they put into the project. Now it appears that some lucky recipients are looking to make a quick buck from the gift as no less than 10 of these rare consoles recently surfaced on eBay.

The standard employee bundle includes a white controller stamped with the phrase “I Made This,” a black Kinect sensor and a year’s subscription to Xbox Live. The white console, meanwhile, also features the aforementioned phrase along with the text “LAUNCH TEAM 2013” and a 500GB hard drive.

exclusive white xbox selling ebay xbox one

As the auctions proclaim, there’s currently no rarer Xbox One than these which is reflected in the pricing. A quick check of the auction site reveals the cheapest “Buy it Not” price is $1,800 – well over three times that it’d cost to purchase a standard console. The most expensive auction currently commands nearly $3,600.

Many of the auctions also include Day One edition launch titles including Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 and Ryse: Son of Rome.

Those looking for a white Xbox One sans “I Made This” branding may get their wish later this year. Back in January, sources said Microsoft was planning to launch a white version of the console in October. What’s more, an Xbox One with a 1TB hard drive is reportedly planned for November.

Permalink to story.

Shock*

Anyways I was actually noticing these and thinking that it took awhile for these to finally surface on ebay.

I would expect the employees to sell these as they would make a nice profit off them.

I'd think it's more the deep pockets of wealthy collectors. I'd be willing to bet that the people shelling out that much money on unique system would do the same for a PS4 or even Wii U equivalent.

Collecting limited edition/unique modern consoles is a form of fanboyism in my book. There are exceptions, such as unmitigated vanity, but an XBOne with different colored plastic is a difficult sell as "collector's item".

Well remember guys, these are "Limited Editions" only given out to Microsoft Xbox ONE employees. People like to collect things and something like this just fits the bill nicely.

Its something that is not normal and available to the public, whether or not its just a different piece of plastic is irrelevant in the eyes of a collector. What makes a NES game like Nintendo World Championships so rare? By that logic it would be no different than a copy of Legend of Zelda on NES.

In respect to collectors, its just the way things are and people will pay a price for what they want whether or not it is a good buy or not.

I love it. A gift for their hard work, shoved on an auction site, for they already know, it just really isn't that good. They would rather have a fancy toaster, of course in a collectors edition employee only color.

Ah XBO. You truly suck

I agree! If they are going to make a rare box, they could at least put some thought into the development of that which makes it different.

Wow, the xbox team quickly made a custom xbox for their own team, for their own use. You must stay awake at night thinking about things to be disappointed with.

Wow, the xbox team quickly made a custom xbox for their own team, for their own use. You must stay awake at night thinking about things to be disappointed with.
Well to start with, I'm disappointed the console is not a thing of the past. But since it is not, we should be able to select a color that best matches the surrounding of the room. That is for those of you that actually put money into the little underpowered boxes.

Considering no one knows how many of these have been produced, and if you'll need one for a complete VG collection... $3600 is a bit of a stretch, but $1800 isn't the end of the world. You do realize that in 10 years someone more rich will pay $18,000 for that same Xbox... it's either a smart investment, or a critical part of a collection. Either way people will pay whatever they think it's worth. I'd personally get dual Titan Blacks, but that's just me.

Considering no one knows how many of these have been produced, and if you'll need one for a complete VG collection... $3600 is a bit of a stretch, but $1800 isn't the end of the world. You do realize that in 10 years someone more rich will pay $18,000 for that same Xbox... it's either a smart investment, or a critical part of a collection. Either way people will pay whatever they think it's worth. I'd personally get dual Titan Blacks, but that's just me.

More like in 10 months the price will be $299.00

450$ titanfall xbone bundle x 4 = 1800$ = 1 white 'limited edition' xbone.
sounds like a no-brainer win for the 4 xbones.

so the xbone gift microsoft gave to some/many/all of its employees is counted as sales against ps4? :)

I would much rather take that $1800 to $3600 and build one hell of a Gaming PC. Nothing against the Xbox ONE, but I would get more (and better) use of that money elsewhere. But I can see where a "Collector" would want one of these units.

Back