Enable/Diasable RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

gale

Purchased a used laptop which performs fine. Went to install Ghost 2003 and was told no could do while RAID was enabled. Questions - (1) why would RAID be enabled on a laptop and (2) how do I disable same? Thanks.

I have Ghost 2003 and have had no problems backing up my computers with the RAID enabled. What laptop make/model do you have? Is it somehow possible that you bought a laptop with RAID and didn't know it? I doubt that you can disable the RAID and still have a working computer at least with your current OS install. I mean if you disabled the RAID array you'd have to install your operating system again.

Ghost 2003 is an old program that is no longer supported by Norton with limited hardware compatibility. It probably doesn't recognize your ATA/ATAPI or SATA controller device whichever you are using. You'd have to find the disk controller device's DOS driver (no small feat) and give Ghost access to the driver for it to work. You may want to think about switching to Acronis or a newer version of Ghost.

Thanks for replying. I have heard of RAID but no absolutely nothing about it. Thanks again.

RAID in its simplist form is having two disk drives work together as one to either have an extra copy of all the information on a master hard drive for safety and access speed while losing half your total storage capacity, or to span the information across both drives for access speed with improved storage capacity.

Laptops with RAID arrays are out there, but they tend to be very expensive.

I doubt that you have a RAID controller inside that laptop. More likely the ancient Ghost is oblivious of SATA and makes its best guess saying it is some RAID controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back