Enclosed HD won't read-Help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Dell, took the old hard drive out of my HP machine, and put the drive into a 3.5" external enclosure.

The drive booted up fine the first few times. It read as a E: drive and an F: drive, the E: drive being for HP recovery and the F: drive having all the operating files and personal files. I went through and erased files that I no longer needed (so I thought). Now the drive will not boot up. When I turn power on to the drive, the following happens:

1) The computer recongizes that a mass storage device has been plugged in to a USB port.
2) The E: drive shows up in My Computer. If I click on it, nothing happens.
3) The F: drive no longer appears.
4) All other programs stop running. For example, if I were to click on IE it will not open.

When I turn power off to the external drive all programs on the desktop resume normally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

matt48858 said:
I just bought a new Dell, took the old hard drive out of my HP machine, and put the drive into a 3.5" external enclosure.

The drive booted up fine the first few times. It read as a E: drive and an F: drive, the E: drive being for HP recovery and the F: drive having all the operating files and personal files. I went through and erased files that I no longer needed (so I thought). Now the drive will not boot up. When I turn power on to the drive, the following happens:

1) The computer recongizes that a mass storage device has been plugged in to a USB port.
2) The E: drive shows up in My Computer. If I click on it, nothing happens.
3) The F: drive no longer appears.
4) All other programs stop running. For example, if I were to click on IE it will not open.

When I turn power off to the external drive all programs on the desktop resume normally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi matt48858 Welcome to the TS Forum

Have you tried installing the Drive directly into the PC, say on the IDE channel the CDrom is on, it may be a flaky USB case,

Regards

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to open the case because it will void my warranty. A lame reason I know, but I want to cover myself if something happens.

Any other suggestions?

Dell strikes again
try uninstall usb drivers re-install same

if you can test on another machine see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back