TechSpot

Encoding

By nikikruse
May 5, 2005
  1. Hi,
    I don't know how to fix this, but my web pages don't disply properly and I have to manually go to VIEW, ENCODING UNICODE or USER DEFINED on each and every web page I try to view. Does anyone know how to fix this? I have contacted microsoft (who no longer offers support for windos 98 for free) and my DSL provider, neither had any suggestions or help for my unless I want to pay $49.95. I'm a broke college student and I can't afford this. Please help, Thanks!

- please create your threads in the proper forums
    Didou

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Have you tried View->Encoding->Auto-Select?

If you don't have such an option then install it. It is a tick box in IE installer I think.

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

4. nikikruse

nikikruse TS Rookie Topic Starter

the Autoselect is checked. I still have to change it manually.

I have no idea what this means- "It is a tick box in IE installer I think"

I also tried to download foxfire and I got an error msg when I was trying to install it "7-zip unspecified error" and "Runtime error 226 at 035865B3 and 035862DF"

another thing that popped up today is a blue screen with the msg Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c"

I have no I dean how to fix this - I have run Adaware, spydoctor and spybot but none of those have removed it.

5. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

Firefox comes as a self-extracting file.

6. nikikruse

nikikruse TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have no idea what that means. :(

7. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

It doesn't need 7-Zip.

8. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.