End of an era: Winamp is shutting down after more than 16 years

By Shawn Knight
Nov 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It’s the end of an era as media player Winamp is calling it quits after more than 16 years of faithful service. The program rose to prominence in the late ‘90s and early 2000s as the go-to solution for listening...

Read more
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

"...the app has survived essentially on life support for years..."

Got that right. Good riddance I say. Foobar is superior.
    Lurker101 likes this.
  3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I never knew about WinAmp on Android. I'll have to check that out.
  4. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 861   +309

VideoLAN player is free open source, plays audio of many formats .ape, .ogg .flac .wav as well as mp3 and plays video as well
  5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

I used it years ago but not often enough to keep it installed. One of the things I liked was the large variety of skins available.
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  6. Maybe as a token of goodwill, winamp can release a winamp pro version with embedded key so the interested user can use the full features of the registered version.
    9Nails and Matthew like this.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I used WinAmp years ago. From my perspective WinAmp was way too buggy. By the time all the bugs was worked out, the application was too bloated for my liking.

I don't need an application telling me how to manage my files. Which is why light weight players such as media player classic is perfect for me. You don't even need a script, a single command from command-line will create Playlist.
  8. mctommy

mctommy TS Booster Posts: 189   +30

VideoLAN/VLC was the death of winamp on my desktop... why use several programs when VLC could read everything including mkvs.
    Raoul Duke likes this.
  9. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,189   +1,219

I use to love Winamp over 10 years ago now, haven't used it for at least that long though.
  10. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,531   +836

I didnt know there was a winamp app. Or that it was even still around.
    Welp now I know. and its too late.
  11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,467   +1,760

Until Windows changed from version 7 to version 8, it used to play DVD-Video for free. That's what you should be mourning the passing of.
  12. corvard

corvard TS Rookie

They closed Winamp development, because it was not profitable. There was official announcement.
  13. mccartercar

mccartercar TS Booster Posts: 130   +24

14. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 777   +57

That plus Shoutcast Radio for me.
  15. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

16. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,603   +411

I tried them all, but never liked their album cover layouts and always ended up back with WMP.
  17. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD TS Enthusiast Posts: 38   +17

Thanks you so much! Milkdrop is the only reason I still use Winamp. I've started dabbling with Foobar lately because of its simple and powerful transcoder, now it looks like I can safely switch to it permanently without regrets :)
  18. Ma_ga

Ma_ga TS Rookie Posts: 39

Playlist, Jump to and Queue.

I'm going to use it to the end of the time, no even foobar do that for me (and I like the foobar playback quality).
    psycros likes this.
  19. turismozilla

turismozilla TS Enthusiast Posts: 55   +10

What is it with these ****ers that take their code to the grave with them because they failed to make a buck out of it?
  20. cliffordcooley

I'm sure for the right price that code could be yours, if you want it bad enough.
  21. turismozilla

turismozilla TS Enthusiast Posts: 55   +10

Often when I have something that is no longer of value to me I let it go, certainly wouldn't lock it for eternity so no one can ever find it or use it. Spider Player dude did the same... "Oh, I can't make money off of this, fnck it, it's the end and nobody can have it."
  22. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 824   +53

Used Winamp for years. It was an essential download on my win2000 and XP boxes. It did get bloated though.
  23. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

Liike Yukka said, the new versions are bloated. I have been using winamp and still do since the aol days but I only use v2.95 and have it in my dropbox for when ever intall a fresh copy of windows.
  24. cliffordcooley

If I remember correctly the earlier v2 versions were the ones that were buggy. It has been so long ago, I wouldn't swear to it. I always upgraded with newer versions and I think it was around version 4 that I stopped using WinAmp.
  25. DuhWookie

DuhWookie TS Rookie

Aww Winamp <3 You will be missed. I remember using you in like 2003 to listen to all my music. Long live Mediamonkey now :)