End Process Results In "Access Denied"??

By Avalonthas
Nov 30, 2004
  1. Hi I have a huge problem which is using up all my memory and computing power and has severely slowed down my computer and i can barely play my games. There is so much spyware and crap on my computer but i cant get rid of it. I use adaware SE and Spybot remover but it doesnt do the trick. I used to have about 36 processes on startup, and via the task manager i could end useless/spyware processes and get it down to 21. Now I am getting 50-55 on startup, and I cant end any of them. Some naturally go away and stay at around 40-45 processes, but i cant end any of them. Everytime i get the following error:

= Unable to Terminate Process==X==
    ===X=The operation could not be===
    =====completed ===============
    =====Access is denied.==========
    =============[OK] ===========

Its really messed up. Right now I am using a program called "cacheman" in order to free up memory however my games still lag like mad and my computer still runs slow. Anyone know how to remove these processes. And yes I am the sole administrator.
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

It sounds to me like you need to run Spybot and AdAware in safe mode. This will ensure that these processes aren't running and can be deleted. Give that a shot and post back whether it worked or not. Just remember to update them first.

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
  3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

There are also processes that are run via a service that will deny your attempts to stop them that way. These can usually be stopped by running services.msc and locating the correct service to stop. You can also control how the service runs... if automatically at startup or completely disabled or even off by default. BE CAREFUL when messing with your services in here though - you might end up stopping something vital for your system to function properly. Many of the services will have a description of it's function.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Click start run and type msconfig and hit enter.

Click on the services tab and tick the check box that says hide all microsoft services.

Untick anything that you don`t require.

Then click on the startup tab and again untick anything that you don`t require.

Click apply and ok you will be prompted to restart your computer click yes.

Once your computer has rebooted you will be presented with a message that tells you that you have used the config utility tick the check box that says do not run this at startup and then ok.

Now anything that you unticked in msconfig will not be running.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
    BrunoCm likes this.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.