"End Unresponsive Program" Troubles - New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmictuesday

Please help...I am fairly computer literate, but know very little when it comes to fixing problems.
I have Windows XP Professional on a new (2 months old) HP Compaq computer (it's my work computer....I'd never buy an HP).
The internet programs (both firefox and IE) freeze frequently, as well as some other programs. I press control-alt-delete, and the "end unresponsive program" window shows up, and I click on "end", but it does nothing, then asks if I want to send an error report.
When I try to turn off the computer, it won't let me. I have to turn it off with the cpu button rather than through windows.
I haven't downloaded anything dangerous, I don't put music files on my computer...I have a recent anti-virus program.
Can anybody help me? It's so frustrating.

Thanks!

Hi cosmictuesday.Welcome to Techspot.

The number one cause of browsers freezing is spyware.
I know you say you haven`t downloaded anything nasty,
but if you`ve been using IE for any length of time,there is
a high probability something has slipped through.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.Post an HJT log.Then we will know.

virus scans

i ran adaware, bit defender, ewido, and micro housecall. adaware found two cookies and quarantined them, bit defender found three viruses and says it removed them. housecall and ewido didn't find anything. my question here is: is it okay to have the cookies quarantined, or is there a way to get rid of them completely?
i wish i didnt have to use IE, but our corporate website (which i have to access almost daily) wont work with firefox.

1. If you only use IE for well known reputable sites like your own companies site or the BBC or
Techspot,Microsoft etc.there shouldn`t be a problem using it.Use FF for all the others.

2. You don`t need to worry about cookies too much.As long as you clear them all out occasionally.
CCleaner is a general cleanup utility that can deal with such things.

3. You say Ewido removed three viruses.Did that cure the problem ?
It would still be a good idea to post an HJT log,all the same.

dont know

will see how my pc operates for the next few days. hjt file was clean. so...we shall see.

crap...now i have "runtime errors" and i can't save my adobe illustrator files! help....please? it says "Microsoft C++ Runtime Library: Illustrator has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

The usual solution for runtime errors is to reinstall/redownload the program or to remove spyware.
If you google the error you`ll see what I mean.

You could start a new thread with that error I suppose.

still busted

My internet is still freezing. I'm usually able to restart my computer now, but the internet freezes frequently, no matter what browser I use. Maybe I just have a crappy computer?

Thanks for all your help thus far. Sorry to be a pain.

maybe you have alot of programs/apps running in the background. Did you check MSCONFIG and the start-up tab to see what is checked to run at start-up? Just a thought......

Maybe I have a crappy computer
An HP is not the most exciting of computers, but they`re usually fairly reliable.
It`s more likely to a software problem.
You say it`s your "work computer".Do you have any IT people in the vicinity?
They occasionally get lucky.:)

As halo nearly suggested,you could try going into msconfig start up and unchecking
everthing except the firewall,and seeing if anything improves.

The symptoms you have sound exactly like spyware,but as your HJT was clean, we will all have to think of plan B.

We have IT people at the main branch who usually dont know about anything other than the company intranet.

Will try msconfig...do I get to it through the control panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back