Epic Games licenses Unreal Engine 3 for federal training software

Leeky

Epic Games has teamed up with Virtual Heroes, a firm specializing in interactive learning simulation software for the healthcare, federal and corporate markets, announcing a long-term agreement that will see their new Unreal Engine 3 technology used for law enforcement training purposes.

That means the gaming engine behind Gears of War 3 and Mass Effect 3 titles is set to be used to assist with training of new recruits in various law enforcement agencies, including the FBI Academy.

Virtual Heroes, a division of Applied Research Associates Inc, will be licensing the UE3 technology to various agencies of the US government, as well as their allies. The announcement also detailed that support for the game engine will be expanded for use in web browsers, as well as consoles and handheld devices.

"We recognize the growing market needs of our government customers and are excited to have Virtual Heroes provide a full spectrum of focused services and support using our game engine technology," said Epic Games president and board member Michael Capps, who was also the lead programmer and producer of recruitment video game America's Army.

UE3 will be used to build training tools like "multiplayer crime scene training simulations" for the FBI and other government agencies as part of a new project called the Unreal Government Network (UGN).

"Virtual Heroes is committed to providing world-class support to our licensees to ensure that all UE3 solutions achieve the best possible results across multiple platforms," said Jerry Heneghan, founder of Virtual Heroes. He continued, "our technical and creative staff is uniquely qualified to provide a new standard of responsive, personalized service to government customers worldwide."

More information including the latest UE3 features available for developers is set to be revealed by representatives of both companies at the Defense GameTech Users’ Conference, which is currently ongoing in Orlando, Florida.

Permalink to story.

I have always been a fan of Epic and their Unreal engine; for all the quality material they have been pumping out over the years.

Ever since the original UT (my first shooter <3), I have had so much respect for what the guys and gals at Epic do.

Much respect to the studio, apart from all their other achievements, this is just another reason why I consider them the best in the business. Outstanding.

-AcIII

Guest said:
I have always been a fan of Epic and their Unreal engine; for all the quality material they have been pumping out over the years.

Ever since the original UT (my first shooter <3), I have had so much respect for what the guys and gals at Epic do.

Much respect to the studio, apart from all their other achievements, this is just another reason why I consider them the best in the business. Outstanding.

-AcIII

I agree. Epic has done a great job with the unreal engine. In fact I used it to get a job recently. I am a Sales Consultant and a large part of my job is giving presentations and demos of complex software to large groups. I was asked to come in and do a presentation/demonstration to the hiring committee for the position I was seeking. I was told I could demo anything I wanted (Word, Excel, anything). I wanted to do something different and decided to demo the Unreal 3 Engine. I created a very cool level, imported my PowerPoints in the level as road signs and gave my opening presentation within the game itself. I then demo'ed the software by creating a simple level. It was very cool. I got the job.

Oh, and the company I now work for has NOTHING to do with gaming...

butch said:
Guest said:

-AcIII

I agree. Epic has done a great job with the unreal engine. In fact I used it to get a job recently. I am a Sales Consultant and a large part of my job is giving presentations and demos of complex software to large groups. I was asked to come in and do a presentation/demonstration to the hiring committee for the position I was seeking. I was told I could demo anything I wanted (Word, Excel, anything). I wanted to do something different and decided to demo the Unreal 3 Engine. I created a very cool level, imported my PowerPoints in the level as road signs and gave my opening presentation within the game itself. I then demo'ed the software by creating a simple level. It was very cool. I got the job.

Oh, and the company I now work for has NOTHING to do with gaming...
Nice creativity. That's some epic work

Back