TechSpot

Erase Harddrive

By xXxZxXx
Nov 25, 2007
  1. I need a program or something that can help erase my harddrive completely so I don't have two partions on it. Right now it has a 3 gig partion and a 73 gig partion, I want to get rid of 3 gig partion and I don't know how. So any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

If you wish to remove the partition then you will need something like partition magic which isnt free. If on the other hand you are willing to format to get the one partition then your windows install disk should be capable of removing both partitions then create just the one.

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,985   +168

Acronis Home, or any hard drive manufacturers install software will work

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

go to disk management in the control panel and go from there.

5. mscrx

mscrx TS Rookie Posts: 829

I recommend to use gparted live cd. its very quick and easy to use!
    but in any case make sure you backup all important data. removing/resizing a partition can always end up in a re-install.

good luck!
    mscrx

6. Stick'o ram

Stick'o ram TS Rookie Posts: 233

I belive that if you use the install cd (xp) and go into install, you will have the option to delete the other partition, however that might erase your whole hard drive and then you will have to reinstall windows.

7. xXxZxXx

xXxZxXx TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 107

The one I'm trying to erase is my secondary harddrive.

Edit: Thanks Tedstart it deleted the 3 gig partion, but my 72 gig partion of it isn't going up any.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.