Eraser shredding prgm setting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phkhgh

Anyone use Eraser 5.82? I see a problem w/ "On Demand" erasing of prefetch files.

The eraser forum / support is kind of weak. Lots of questions from users never get answered, including this one.

Under "Files on Folder", I selected "C:\Windows\Prefetch\". (I think that should be "Files IN Folder").
All options on that screen - "Subfolders", "Remove Folders" and "Only Subfolders " are all UNchecked.

When through erasing, it says those prefetch files and a few others like index.dat, are locked (this is normal). I give Eraser permission to run at next startup to finish erasing those, and it does erase all the others EXCEPT the prefetch.

Is this a bug (can't really find a bug report / list on Heidi Computer's site)? Or am I missing something or doing something wrong? ...Nah, that's not possible.:D

Thanks.

The prefetch folder is special. You are not allowed to modify the contents of the files there and that's exactly what Eraser does - it overwrites the file contents several times.

Anyway, why would you want to clean up the prefetch folder? Maybe you should take a look at this article:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000619.html

Thanks Nodsu,

Not concerned about increase or decrease of Windows "performance" by cleaning up files in Prefetch.

I want to very occasionally clean some entries in Prefetch that display file names, which could be associated w/ tasks that could pose security issues on my PC.

Why are the Prefetch files so special? Other files that are hidden, system files files can be erased, at least on reboot.

Even stranger, these files can be deleted by normal means from windows explorer, sent to recycle bin, then deleted from there. But a prgm like Eraser (or others) can't overwrite them? These aren't critical files, and certainly not system files. Their only function, AFAIK, is to "speed up" the loading of pages / prgms.

Even when I have completely cleaned out the prefetch folder, on my machine I see very little difference in how fast a prgm opens.

I see the Prefetch folder is read only, but the files in it are not. Windows (appears) to allow removing the read only attribute, but doesn't enable Eraser to then erase those files. After changing & applying the attribute change, closing and reopening the folder, the attribute is changed back to read only.

The files can be deleted normally to the recycle bin, and then CCleaner (and maybe Eraser) will wipe them from there. This really doesn't make any sense. Could some security setting for the Prefetch folder be changed (and where?) that would allow those files to be accessed by Eraser or CCleaner, etc?

There is much more to file security than the "read only" flag. That one is just a legacy from DOS.

In the security tab in the file properties, give yourself "modify" permissions. You can Erase the file no problem after that.

Nodsu said:
In the security tab in the file properties, give yourself "modify" permissions. You can Erase the file no problem after that.
Thanks.

Are you using XP Pro? Where in XP hm ed would the "Security Tab" show up, if at all? I don't see a security tab when R-click on a file or folder in explorer, then Properties (never have seen Security Tab in XP home).

there are several free programs you can use to shred (secure delete) files.
both crap cleaner and spybot have these tools.

Thanks Nodsu,
Nodsu said:
I booted in Safe Mode, and the "Modify" was already selected for all administrator accts, so nothing to do there. Did you mean that after it was checked, you could boot in normal mode (under an admin. acct) and be able to delete or erase the prefetch files, or only in Safe Mode?

Cause that's not what I see happening under normal mode.

Question about the link you gave to dougknox.com: The MS article(s) it links to don't apply XP, much less XP home. Yes, I'd like to be able to see the security tab w/o booting in Safe Mode, but is there another way?

Hrm. I don't have Home, so I can't test. In Pro, the file permissions are the same in Safe Mode - only Read and Write allowed.

As for the link:
Disclaimer: I have tested this procedure on my XP Home installation, and it works. I cannot guarantee that it will work on your system. Make sure you create a System Restore point before proceeding.
It's not about the articles, it's about the program you can download from there.

Yes, I know. That's what I meant. The articles on MS site don't apply to XP hm ed. You said you don't have XP home, cause if you did, I'd let you try that, and then let me know how it works out!:D

In fact, it doesn't even say it applies to XP Pro.

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition
• Microsoft BackOffice Server 4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.