Erasing and reinstalling factory settings

By mark278
Jun 1, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Toshiba laptop. I left it logged onto the internet permanently with little security, and it has crashed. I tried to use the product recovery cd and it didnt work. It kept on saying something like: incorrect hardware. I looked on these forums and someone was having a similar problem, i followed their solution which was to set my boot up in the settings to the cd-rom. However now it only says operating system not found, and i can't get into setup or type anything, if i do, it just repeats the message. Can anyone help?
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Welcome to TechSpot
    What Windows version are you trying to install?
    If your laptop has a floppy-drive, change the BIOS to start from floppy and try the startup-disk from W98, to see if there is anything at all on your harddisk.
    You may have a hidden directory on the HD with the install-files.
    If the floppy starts (with CD-support), then insert your CD and do the installation that way.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Are you sure you set it to boot from CD-ROM and that the CD-ROM you are booting from is actually bootable? You can't boot from an external CD drive either.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.