TechSpot

Erratic beeping and shutdown

By CDHowlett
Jul 17, 2008
  1. Hi,

Recently my computer has been acting up.

Safe mode won't even run, and I am having beeping trouble.

I'll be in the middle of something when the computer decides to start beeping irregularly and shut down.

The beeping is something like: Beep-beep-bleep-boop-boop-bleep-boop-bleep-boop-bleep...[rather annoying]

Anyway, I know it's not the HD temp...I have HDD thermometer and it's usually around 112f.

Could my HD be on the way out...or do you think its a possible virus?

Any thoughts / solutions would definitely be appreciated!

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

I'd say HardDrive faulty
    Backup immediately (whatever the case)

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You might want to take a look at the posts in this forum by Tedster... he has produced a long, and useful report, of most of the known beep codes and what they mean for each OS, and BIOS and motherboard.

You clearly have a serious issue... either a video card failure, CPU fan failure, memory failure, hard drive, or a system board. It will take a while to get it all figgered out... quite a while, in fact.

4. CDHowlett

CDHowlett TS Rookie Topic Starter

what's_the_link_for_that?

thanks...

5. insoman

insoman TS Booster Posts: 102

Beep-beep ....LOL

6. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav TS Rookie Posts: 186

If this beeping is comming during windows, I doubt it's your BIOS beep codes. When you say shutdown, does the system just POOF power off, or is there a BSOD?
    It could be a warning about overheating (CPU) or your HD failing.

Do you know what brand HD you have?

Is the noise like this:
    Maxtor HD Musical Drive
    Western Digital Musical Drive
    Samsung Musical Drive

If so then you have a bad HD. It is then it may be stiction; the noise is the motor resonating in audible frequencies as it tries to spin up to a controlled rate via servo control.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.