Error 100000d1 event 1003 category 102

Hey guys

1st post - seen some similar errors, but not sure if any apply to my problem.

Built a machine a couple of years back; been running fine till today. This morning it crashed 4 times and this is the error I get from the Send Crash Report to MS box which pops up on restart. Although there is an error listed in the event viewer, it says nothing useful apart from Category 102.

It's running an old MSI board with a P35 chipset; 2gigs of ram. Been 100% fine till this morning; user reports no recent Windows Updates which might have gone belly up (these are managed by our institution's MSUpdate server anyway).

Minidumps attached; no idea what I'm looking for in them, I'm afraid, so wouldn't have a clue where to even start. Hoping someone can point me to something which fixes it!

thanks
Dale
Cape Town

Attachments

• Mini040411-04.dmp
    80 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini040411-03.dmp
    80 KB · Views: 1
In both minidumps the driver cited is intelppm.sys which is a Microsoft driver for your intel processor.

Is your system dust free? Check the heatsink for your cpu. Is it clogged with dust?

Have you ever updated the BIOS and/or chipset drivers? Would you know how if need be?

Start > Run > type in EventVwr.msc > Okay Tell us if you have any Yellow Triangles and Red Xs. If so, what are they warning about?

Thanks for the reply.

I've popped the casing - there is some dust, but not a huge amount. The machine was running MSI's DualCore Center hardware monitoring system and didn't report anything itself. I did try a chipset and BiOS update, but MSI don't have a newer one than what is onboard and I thought I'd wait to see if anyone had any suggestions before getting one from Intel. The only recent red x in the event viewer said Category 102 with nothing other than binary detail; the only previous one I could see was when the virus scan service crashed about 4 weeks ago.

I have a bigger problem this morning, though - it has died :dead:. Can't even get into POST, even after I've disconnected everything,. With most computers, as I recall, if you take the ram out the machines go ballistic with beeps and stuff, and this one is doing nothing. I can't see anything obvious on the board - no visibly blown components or capacitors, but I suppose that doesn't mean anything. Anyway, if there is no POST the thing is pretty much dead, right? The monitor doesn't even turn on from standby and there is no beep - perhaps the onboard vga has blown? Lights come on, fans come on, so I don't think it's the PSU, but no screen and no beep.

Apart from finding a dedicated gfx card, are there any ideas for this scenario or is it a throwaway?

thanks again
-Dale

A gut feeling -- which I readily admit it could be wrong; Do you or a friend have a digital multimeter to test the PSU?

There are a few other things we can try as well.

No, we don't have a meter handy. I do however have a spare PSU at home which I will take in to work tomorrow - can't hurt, right?

Thanks for the suggestions and advice thus far.

-d-

Back