Error 9c on MCE system

Status
Not open for further replies.

borillion

My media center pc crashes BSOD with the error 9c anywhere from 30 min to 5 hours from startup, but seems to only occur during video recording or playback, I've stuck the memory module in my other system and wasn't able to get it to crash :mad: maybe cause its running xp pro or something? Would someone mind peeking at my minidumps in two seprate zips (sorry they arent in order by creation) and see if they can confirm my nagging feeling its the **cheap** 512 PQI module or if its something else entirely? Maybe the tv-tuner?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The bugcheck of 9C invariably means you have a hardware problem. See below.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Start by going HERE and following the instructions for testing your ram/hard drive.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

The steps provided in your pre-post check didn't solve my problem :mad:
I was hopeing that someone with more knowlage than I have could tell me perhaps what peice of hardware is the cause of the seemingly random BOSD's

Hi borillion,

This is a free forum and Howard does not get any pay to resolve your problem. Howard is the blue screen guru and I hope you can respect him. You must understand that it is very hard to diagnostic problem of bugcheck 9c. I participate over 30 questions of bugcheck 9c and only 10 questions have confirmed answers. As most of the problem owners do not feed back their solution.

I've responsed two machine check problems at this forum recently. You can take a look to it. Maybe it is useful to your problem. I believe that your problem is related to time out problem between CPU with peripheral device. Probably TV card maybe the culprit

Faulty TV card
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=174162#post174162 Problem owner philuk

I didn't mean any disrespect, nor was I asking him in particular...
Im sorry if thats how it came across.

Thanks to everyone who spends time posting help for everyone :wave:

borillion said:
I didn't mean any disrespect, nor was I asking him in particular...
Im sorry if thats how it came across.

Thanks to everyone who spends time posting help for everyone :wave:

No offence taken borillion.

Regards Howard :)

borillion, if you are serious about getting this issue fixed and think some good/expert knowledge resides on this site you are correct. It would be very helpful to have your system specs.
Media Centre PC so I assume:
P4 3.1GHz
Intel mobo (what model)
RAM (DDR1 or2, PC3200, 4000.... or what) and size, only 1 stick?
PSU, total watts, amps on 5 and 12v outputs.
video card
how many HDD and DVD/CD roms. (issue relates to PSU).
Stock cooling on CPU? Is it clean? No OCing?

Now maybe someone here can try to zero in on what the hardware issue is. As howard said it can be 1 or some combination of many hw issues. The troubleshooting is pull this, replace that, reseat this etc until an improvement or no improvement is noticed.

Cheers

Actually, I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+
512mb single stick
WD 300gb sata caviar
Gigabyte kn851gmf-9
Gigabyte Nvidia 5200
Hauppenauge tv card

I just stuck a new 512mb memory, and reseated my cards and cleared my cmos
I'll give it a day and get back with the results.

Well it was good for about two days, but then it did it again... :(
I also swapped in a processor and another graphics card, so I guess it must be either with my motherboard or my tv-tuner. Anyone have any ideas?
The tuner is a Hauppage 150 if it any help.

Well don't forget about your PSU, how many watts is it? Why don't just uninstall the TV tuner card for now to see if some HW conflict exists. Have you check all your IRQ to look for conflicts? Do you have the latest 81.98 driver for the 5200. Onetime I had to roll back my driver to a 71.xx version becasue of a major video problem with my FX5200 im my older system. Just a thought.

Silly me, the psu is a 420 watt psu
On the topic of IRQ's is it enought to just check for IRQ conflicts within the windows device manager? Before I give up another tuner card Ill try and reinstall Windows an see what happens, changing the memory did seem to make the crashes happen less often, the time between them is up to at least a day, what could this mean? :giddy:

For the IRQ I just go into Device Manger/View/Resorces by connection.
Also look at Devices by Type and show hidden devices.

By replacing your RAM and having it run more stable for a fews days could mean a PSU issue. 420W and generic (crappy type) should be ok for the video card and other HW you have, but if it's old or just really really poor quality then this could be the problem. Newer RAM can be less sensitive to voltage flucuations and temperature problems until it gets "burned in", then the probs reappear. You can try increasing your Vdram in the BIOS under DRAM menu settings. Increase it by whatever is the smallest amount your BIOS presents you. This has fixed many unstable systems in the past.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back