Error code 0x800700c1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pabes

Serious problems here....

Please click on my profile to see my past post (apparently I don't have enough activity on this site to be allowed to post links)
In that thread ("Windows XP startup, file is missing or corrupt, \windows\system32\config\system "), I followed the directions that was given by user Hemantdhyani. When I went to turn the computer back on (crossing fingers that I had fixed the problem), I came up with this 0x800700 error code. I am STUCK on the blue windows page, the one that comes up saying that it's loading my settings. I cannot access the internet or my desktop, and anything I've read on how to fix this error says that I need to go to Start/Run. Is there ANYTHING I can do in the recovery console that will fix this error?
On top of this, I also have a McAfee error--I'm not as concerned about that though.
I have tried logging on in safe mode, but as soon as it gets to the safe mode screen, I get an error that says:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0de3 IP:0121 OP:ff ff ff 76 6b Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

...and I'm given the option to Close or Ignore....of course I can't ignore, the window keeps popping up and I cannot progress further within safe mode.

Basically with all of these errors, I am wondering if my File Replacement that I did in my last post messed something up, creating these new errors (3 in total) or what the heck is going on...I don't know what to fix/how to fix. It's a mess, I know....and my brain is a mess from sitting here for 3 hours trying to figure it out!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....keep in mind though I'm not totally computer savvy ;) I'm smart, but I need instructions broken down barney-style please! Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for your reply!
By file replacement, I am referring to the process I performed as described in the other thread I participated in. I would have put a link in this thread, but I don't have enough posts as a techspot member to be allowed to do this I guess, so in order for you to see exactly what I'm referring to, you'd have to click on my profile to see that post.
Anyway, basically I had an error that wouldn't allow me to logon to my computer. It was a windows/system32/config/system error that said the file was missing or corupt. So I followed the steps given in that post--under the assumption that the windows xp installation cd would overwrite the corrupt file and then allow me to run windows. When I did all the steps, I did get much farther in the logging on process, only to then be stopped by the error code described as the subject line of this thread. Also as I said above, I got an error code when I tried to boot the computer in safe mode, thus blocking me to accessing the Start/Run option since I con't even reach my desktop, even in safe mode. So the way I see it (if possible) I need to fix this safe mode error (the userinit.exe error) so that I can at least access my desktop in safe mode. I'm sure this is all wishful thinking though.....so I guess I'm basically at the mercy of technology here, wondering what I can do to save the files on my hard drive. Someone mentioned hooking up a slave drive....would that work? I don't know how that works....like I said, I'm smart, but I'm not a total computer wiz.

Thank you so much for your reply!
By file replacement, I am referring to the process I performed as described in the other thread I participated in. I would have put a link in this thread, but I don't have enough posts as a techspot member to be allowed to do this I guess, so in order for you to see exactly what I'm referring to, you'd have to click on my profile to see that post.
Anyway, basically I had an error that wouldn't allow me to logon to my computer. It was a windows/system32/config/system error that said the file was missing or corupt. So I followed the steps given in that post--under the assumption that the windows xp installation cd would overwrite the corrupt file and then allow me to run windows. When I did all the steps, I did get much farther in the logging on process, only to then be stopped by the error code described as the subject line of this thread. Also as I said above, I got an error code when I tried to boot the computer in safe mode, thus blocking me to accessing the Start/Run option since I con't even reach my desktop, even in safe mode. So the way I see it (if possible) I need to fix this safe mode error (the userinit.exe error) so that I can at least access my desktop in safe mode. I'm sure this is all wishful thinking though.....so I guess I'm basically at the mercy of technology here, wondering what I can do to save the files on my hard drive. Someone mentioned hooking up a slave drive....would that work? I don't know how that works....like I said, I'm smart, but I'm not a total computer wiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back