Error code 80080005 - windows update, not BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My sister recommended this forum to me.

I have Vista Home Premium. A couple months ago, I started getting an error code 80080005 with a message: "Windows could not search for updates". Of course, I went through all the Windows troubleshooting steps, checked the knowledge base, the Microsoft web site tech forum, did a web search for the specific error code--everything I found that related to that specific error code was either a blank page, a dead end or a lot of very technical talk I didn't understand about modifying the registry and a lot of other things I am not comfortable doing with my limited computer tech skills.

On the Microsoft help forum, there were several posts for this error code, but no definite solution. It's almost as if Microsoft knows there is a problem but has no fix so they just ignore it.

I've scanned for viruses and spyware and come up clean. I've tried disabling all firewalls, spyware programs, etc. and trying to search for updates & got the same error.

Nothing had changed when this started. I had not changed any settings or installed any new programs. I tried system restore, but there was only one restore point and it made no difference. My last updates were installed on 5/7/09. The next time after that, I clicked on the icon that shows up in the system tray to tell you new updates are available, all this started. Other than this, my computer is running great and everything else works fine.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me with this problem. I've run out of ideas.

Thank You!

Looks like service pack 1, and I'm using IE7. I tried IE8 when it came out and like 7 better. I've been using SP1 & IE7 all along and this problem just started a couple months ago. Should I upgrade to SP2?

EDIT: Looks like SP2 came out AFTER my updates quit working. I'm downloading it now.

P.S.-Why does this thread keep getting moved? I originlly posted it here and it got moved to the BSOD forum. I couldn't find it there because it's now moved back here...

Well if your system is infected with malware, it needs to be cleaned first... I know you said that you scanned and found nothing. Download and install free Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Glary Utilities, and rescan your computer. After you know its clean, in IE7 go to tools, Windows Updates and download and install the 10,000 or so ;) missing updates over the last 4 years... including SP3, and IE8. I hope you are not using dialup, it would take days to bring your computer up to date.

I don't have the rights to move or delete threads

I moved this back to where it belongs - this has nothing to do with BSODs.

Have you checked if there are any useful Windows Update logs in \Windows\SoftwareDistribution directory?

edit: just because the title has some numbers in it doesn't mean it's BSOD code, but fine, let's keep it here then, mr. admin-or-moderator-who-shall-not-be-named...

First of all, will whoever is in charge PLEASE quit moving this thread! I am NOT getting a blue screen. I really don't care where you put it, just leave it in one place so I can find it please!

Now, to the business at hand. In order to try to fix my original 'Windows Updates' problem, I downloaded Vista SP2 from the Microsoft website. When I tried to install it, the installation failed, giving me the SAME error code as my original updates problem but with an 'x' in front of it (x80080005). I have run Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Glary Utilities as suggested, and fixed whatever issues they found. I have tried ALL the steps Microsoft suggests here: "hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366" to troubleshoot the SP2 installation problem, and it still won't install (big surprise there). I have no idea what to try next.

Tmagic650 wrote: "in IE7 go to tools, Windows Updates and download and install the 10,000 or so missing updates over the last 4 years... including SP3, and IE8"

If I could do that, I wouldn't be here. This is the reason for my post here in the first place--Windows Update does not work, whether I go to tools, control panel, automatic updates, I get "Windows could not search for updates". Windows update shows the most recent check for updates was 5/7/2009 and updates were installed 5/21/2009. Since then, it does not work.

Thanks, I checked out your link. As far as I can see, this does not apply to my problem. I specifically states that it is for "Windows XP Professional or Home Edition & some installations of Windows 2000 Professional", it is a completely different error code, and the description of the problem being addressed is not the problem I am having.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Boy, there is nothing like a slow reply... Reinstall Windows if you can. If not, you have a bios incompatibility or hardware fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back