TechSpot

Error Messege when installing XP Pro

By tbrodale
Nov 23, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I do not know if this is in the right place. Please move it if it is not, sorry I tried :blush:

I just got a new computer for free because it wouldnt work and they couple had spent 80 dollars to get it fixed and it still was shot. I started it up and nothing would work, so I reformatted and reinstalled Windows ME and everything worked out fine. About a week later I decided I wanted to install my windows XP pro. When I tried I was told that installation could not continue due to an error with the file partmgr.sys I then tried to install Windows 2k pro (the computer was built for windows 2k pro and windows me) but still didnt work getting me the same messege. I then reloaded ME to see if it would still work and it still did.

The specs are

hp pavilion 7960
    1.3 ghz pentium 4
    128 mb RDRAM
    40 gig Ultra DMA hard drive
    nVidia TNT2 M64 graphics card w/ 32MB SDRAM

Any ideas?

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Use fdisk to delete the partition then create a new partition then boot from the xp pro cd.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. tbrodale

tbrodale TS Rookie Topic Starter

Tried that. I think I just need a new harddrive.

4. howard_hopkinso

If it was your hard drive then I don`t think Windows ME would work.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

5. tbrodale

I think its a hardware-software compatability problem. Maybe.

6. howard_hopkinso

When you first tried to install xp pro did you try to install it over the top of ME as an upgrade?

7. tbrodale

I did, but after I tried deleting the partition and reformatting and reinstalling. So NOTHING work lol.

8. howard_hopkinso

I would reinstall Windows ME then put in the xp pro cd and click on install and see what happens.

9. tbrodale

You mean do the update thing? Did that.

10. howard_hopkinso

In that case just use Windows ME for now and hopefully someone will come up with a better solution.

Sorry I wasn`t able to help.

Regards Howard :confused: :confused:

11. tbrodale

I am installing 2000 on a different hard drive and it just came up saying some files couldnt be copied so I dont think this one will work either. Who knows what it is. I hate to let this computer go to waste or pay big bucks to have someone look at it and not have it fixed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.