Error: "Please reboot and select proper boot media" on new build

Hi all,

I just finished updating Windows 7 Ultimate on my studio computer (labeled studio in my systems if you wish to see all specs) and when I went to reboot it, it displayed the error message "PLEASE REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE". So immediately I thought I must have the boot order wrong or the hard disc set to RAID or something. What I've done so far:

1. Tried to play with BIOS settings and SATA connections in every possible configuration.
- NO RESULT

2. Tried to boot from Win 7 disc in order to repair.
- got same message even when hard disc disconnected

3. Took out one stick of RAM and tried both in both slots.
- NO RESULT

4. Checked all cabling and recabled entire system from ground up.
- NO RESULT

5. Swapped out motherboard with a completely different brand new motherboard (the MSi 785GTM-E45).
- NO RESULT

6. Repeated steps 1-4 with new motherboard.
- NO RESULT

7. Checked hard drive multiple times and even booted from it attached to my MAIN computer's motherboard.
- Hard drive totally operational, no result for studio computer

I need serious help on this one. If anyone has any advice that I have not tried, please, please, please help! It is an older hard drive, but has only been used with Win 7.

Did you try running "fixmbr" or "fixboot" from the repair console? Here's a M$ support page on that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Are you saying that updating from Windows Update trashed the install?

Or, the BIOS in most new boards comes set to run as IDE. Have you tried setting the HDD to "AHCH". (I think that would be called directly, "SATA" in an AMD based board).

Plan "B" always involves trying to boot from a Linux CD to attempt to access and copy your data files, before a drastic measure like zeroing out the drive

captaincranky:

If "fixmbr" or "fixboot" are console commands, I cannot because I cannot boot whatsoever. Not from hard disc or dvd drive.

I don't think the update did this because I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows with it connected to another computer and I still get the same message.

OK, with no drive connected does the board go to BIOS when it's powered up?

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around your timeline. Was this machine in operation before the "update"?

The issues you're describing point toward a bad CPU. But that's such a rare event, I hate to even speculate about it. You've have process of elimination dealt with many other possibilities, save for the PSU...(?) :confused:

Since you installed Windows from "another computer", is it possible that's the problem?

Well, the computer was operational veggie thee update, although I have a hard time believing that the update is the cause. With no drive connected I can get to bios, but the second I connect a drive I come back to the same problem. I think a bad cpu might honestly be the case, but that seems like an extreme case.

I only reformatted and installed windows on the hard drive using a different computer after this started happening in an attempt to "fix" the problem I thought was the original problem. That did not solve anything though. After I installed windows on that drive I made sure that it booted up correctly by booting it on the other computer and it did boot correctly.

can get to bios, but the second I connect a drive I come back to the same problem. I think a bad cpu might honestly be the case, but that seems like an extreme case.
Quick question here Is that "A" drive, as in "any drive", or "the drive" , "the one with Windows already installed".

Did you check the drive mode? (AHCI, SATA, or IDE) if the computer you installed Windows with was running in IDE instead of SATA (AHCI) SATA drivers would not have bee installed by Windows, yielding, (what I'm taking a guess at), a type of error possibly similar to the one you're getting. (same error, possibly by virtue of a different cause). You did say, "any drive", I'm just trying to make sure I'm on the same page with you.

Does BIOS detect the CPU correctly? Have you tried a blank HDD? (new, unformatted, or completely wiped)? Have you checked PSU voltages in BIOS?

By swapping out the mobo, you only eliminated one possible cause, which still leaves us bouncing between the HDD (& Windows install), PSU, and the CPU.

Quick question here Is that "A" drive, as in "any drive", or "the drive" , "the one with Windows already installed".

Sorry about the vagueness, typed from my phone. I meant the drive; same HDD which I was using before I started having problems, the same HDD which I reformatted (NTFS if it makes any difference) and the same HDD which can boot when connected to a different motherboard with a Phenom II x6 1090T BE processor.

As per the drive mode, it's SATA, but I also tried the AHCI and IDE for optical and hard drive with no differing results with any combination.

BIOS does detect the processor correctly, and the PSU voltages are all default settings which I've never changed.

I have not yet tried a blank HDD yet but could that really be the problem, seeing as I tried all the SATA ports on both motherboards with just optical drive (which came from an old PC of mine and which has always worked perfectly fine) and got the same error? Sorry for the run-on.

Processor fault seems more and more likely now that I think about it. Could that cause the mobo to not direct a video signal unless only one stick of ram is being used? Because I've had that problem too.

Back