Error Screen Caused by memory (RAM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I boot up my laptop, If I move it around or it is on for awhile, then it comes up witha blue error screen (got to love them) and my computer shuts off before I can read or write the message down. Today it crashed with the message saying "BAD_POOL_HEAD". I discovered after clearing and re-loading my operating system that If I remove one of my memory units (RAM?) then my computer works fine, only is really slow because it is working on 128MB. IS there a way to repair this, and is the second RAM slot the problem, because I tried two different chips in it and they both didn't work.
*Insert broken computer here* :knock: Somtimes I hate computers...

EDIT: I am running WindowsXP profosinal and my computer is a DELL LATITUDE CPX

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It is entirely possible for the dimm slot to have gone bad. It could also be dust in the slot.

Do you still get crashes if you use the 128MB stick that is good in that slot?

You could try blowing the slots out with a can of compressed air.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It is entirely possible for the dimm slot to have gone bad. It could also be dust in the slot.

Do you still get crashes if you use the 128MB stick that is good in that slot?

You could try blowing the slots out with a can of compressed air.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:[/QUOTE

no,it does not crash with one. I need to buy air.....
Taks <--------(dead keboard)

If I understand you correctly.

It doesn`t crash with the 1 stick of ram, no matter which dimm slot it is in.

If that`s the case, then the other sticks of ram are either bad, or incompatible.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
If I understand you correctly.

It doesn`t crash with the 1 stick of ram, no matter which dimm slot it is in.

If that`s the case, then the other sticks of ram are either bad, or incompatible.

Now that confuses me even more. Thsi computer had the two stock ram sticks in it. And after the problem was discovered once, I got a laptop, the same as mine, and took it apart because it had a dead hard drive. I got the stick out of that one and I still had problems. I have also switched the sticks from port to port. No matter which RAM stick is in the 1st one it works fine. But whenever a stick goes in the second I get the error... :giddy:

possibility you have a bad memory slot on your motherboard or like howard said, your sticks are incompatible.

If you have a broken memory slot, there is nothing you can do about it.

However, it could be that the slot is just dusty. In which case blowing it out with a little compressed air may help.

I have the exact same problem that reeds101 with a Latitude CPx. The laptop had two memory DIMMs (factory default) and one day I begin to experience the same sympthoms. Asuming it had something to do with the RAM I remove one of them an work fine. But I wanted 256MB no 128MB, so I change the modules to see if the one that I first removed was in fact bad. Surprised to se that it also work OK.

Then I thought it could be the memory bank, but when I installed the RAM on the other one it also work OK; the same with the other DIMM.

Summarizing, the laptop only works with one memory DIMM installed, no matter in what slot. I`m only using the memory modules that where shipped with the laptop.

Any help? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back