TechSpot

Errors loading any Programs

By raebabe
Mar 16, 2004
  1. I have reloaded this Gateway 5 times now. We've used different copies of W2K, and PC-Coe disks and it's still giving me errors.

When I try to load the standard programs on the C: drives 5GB's of space I can only load one program fine and then if I try to load anything else I get an error. The error is different every time. I have plenty of space and I load these systems just about every day so it's nothing new. I've tried loading certain programs from disk and from the network and it makes no differance.

Last time I was trying to load Office from a disk and it told me the disk had generated errors and was going to shut down. Before that it was a similar error with loading Norton from disk. Once I was getting an error logging on saying it was missing a registry file right after I'd done a fresh load on the system.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on with this system?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

Sounds like we are missing some total scope of the problem to make a good diagnosis. But based on what you have provided and if I had to venture a guess, I would say you are having some RAM problems. Basically I'd say your RAM is bad, run memtest86 on it: http://www.memtest86.com/
    Don't really have much to add without a more comprehensive analysis.

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

but the version from memtest.org does not yet work on ASUS mobo's

5. raebabe

raebabe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

Alright, after I went to all the trouble of asking you guys if you had any ideas I received an error stating my system was low on virtual memory so I increased it and I havn't yet had any problems but if I do I have a copy of memtest to run.

Thank you

6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I'd run it anyway, it's not going to hurt anything, and it might let you know something that has been masked by increasing you virtual memory.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.