Errors resizing Windows partition using gParted, Ubuntu & QTparted

Status
Not open for further replies.

swker98

i need help with resizing NFTS also i use g parted but it says it doesn't recognize the file system and therefor cant split or resize it, also it will not let me unmount the drive, i also get an error with Ubuntu, it eather hangs on the HDD partitioning 6.10 or fails to resize it 7.04 beta 4
The hard drive is running good now (it has xp home on it just fine) so i dont see why it refuses to partition or unmount it
my next step is to burn kinoppix to a cd and try it.
i did however have to reinstall windows xp 3 times in the summer because it kept getting corrupted, so may by my HDD is dying? but if it was would windows be able to pass chkdisk?
it is about 5 years old (WD caviler 40gb 5400rpm)
not sure what that could be,

thanks
btw admins if u feal im Hijacking this thread ill\ you can open a new one

edit: when i use kinoppix (QTparted)to resize the partition it says " hopelessly there are many bad sectors" and wont resize it, is the drive dying as i thought or can i fix the sectors with something other then chkdisk

*Moved this reply to its own thread

You should run a full drive diagnostic on it. My money says it is failing....
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

would windows be able to pass chkdisk?
It sure would. :) By default, Windows only checks the drive for logical problems (file system)... But not for physical or electrical problems. You can force chkdsk to run a full scan by Start > Run > cmd /k chkdsk /r and click 'Y' when prompted to perform on restart. Restart your computer and chkdsk will do a bad sector scan... This is a task much better suited for the manufacturer's diagnostic though.

im runnig the sacn but i noticed that SMART was turned off, about 5% into the test(extensive test) an error comes up and says "to many bad sectors" and fails me, is this mean the drive has failed and could this cause it not the be able to be resized

thanks again i will try the test with SMART on but i doubt it will make a difference

Bad sectors are a physical problem and could definitely cause your issues with partition resizing.

SMART 'predicts' drive errors (sometimes, anyway), but does not fix them. It shouldn't make a different, but it may give you a warning after a period of time when your computer boots or with drive monitoring software.

Your best option is to replace the drive and backup your data immediately to another drive.

the drive is definitely failing, it fails WD lifeguard utility in 10 minutes because of bad sectors, and under smart in the wd utility it says FAIL
good thing there isnt anything to important on it im trying some ultilites that might be able to repair the sectors but if it doesn't work ill probably just wait for it to fail completely and get a new drive, i dont use that comp much unless i want to experiment with Linux

btw what is a sector on the hard drive (im not to knowledgeable as far as hard drives go)

thanks again rick

I suggest whatever has the longest warranty. There's a few manufacturers offering 5 year warranties nowadays, including Western Digital (Only for their Raptors, YS series (Designed for RAID) and Enterprise products).

I'd definitely go with whatever has the longest warranty though, because if there's one thing for sure, it is whatever drive you purchase WILL die. It's just a matter of when... [insert music which suggests looming, impending peril]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back