ESATA external hard drive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOZO

I have a Vantec NexStar 3 that has both a USB and an eSATA connection, and the USB connection works just fine. However, the computer does not recognize that I have connected the drive when I use only the eSATA connecting cable, and when I have the eSATA cable AND the USB cable in at the same time, the computer cannot see the hard drive either...but, with both connected, if I unplug the eSATA connection, leaving the USB connection in, the computer instantly recognizes the drive. What gives?

Is this a external that you made yourself? Because I believe that the hard drive itself has to be sata to be able to use the esata. If it is IDE then it won't work.

it is SATA. The thing is, I even tried it with an external hard drive that came with a case, and is meant for eSATA, but it doesn't work either. Is there any software that I need, or should it just be plug and play?

I don't think you need any software for it, but I am not an expert on this so you should probably wait for some better advice from someone else. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back