ESC Motherboard PT800CE-A (Reboot Problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All-

I just recently purchased this motherboard/CPU combo from Frys/Outpost
and have come upon a strange problem. First off I have already replaced
the MB and still have the same problem. I am going to use this system as
a PC based firewall. And when I start data tranfers on both NIC interfaces (Onboard and PCI based) the system either reboots or freezes. All drivers are up to date and this only happens when both interfaces are used at the same
time. I assume it has to do with interrupts and the system not being able to keep up with all the outstanding requests. But I just cannot track it down and have searched the internet for days. Also I have purchased another 2 sets of ram with the same results. Has anyone seen this type of issue on this MB?

Here is what I have:

PT800CE-A (v1.0) - Not the current BIOS/Upgraded on the other MB/
Same Result/Issue
P4 3.2Ghz CPU
1 GB DDR PC3200 Ram (Geil - Which is what they reccomend)
300 GB Drive IDE (ATA 133)
Windows Xp Pro (SP2-All Patched)
Radeon 7000 (AGP) (Current set of drivers)
D-Link DFE-530TX+ (Current set of srivers)

The system runs perfectly until I start the transfers. Can run fine for days.
Just when both NIC's are being used it when the problem occurs. Any help
will be appreciated.

Glen

Check in BIOS and in the Power Savings settings of the Screen properties, that your LAN is NOT set to wake up the PC. (also known as WOL wakeup-on-lan)

realblackstuff said:
Check in BIOS and in the Power Savings settings of the Screen properties, that your LAN is NOT set to wake up the PC. (also known as WOL wakeup-on-lan)

I did as you suggested and still no change. I did this both in the BIOS and
on the D-Link card. Still after I start the second transfer of data, the system
reboots, freezes and even came up this time with a hardware malfunction. But
does not state as to what kind of malfunction. I also turned off all unused
devices, like sound, serial, etc. Also turned off BIOS cache and video cache.

Any other ideas? The only part I have not changed it the video card and
the CPU. HELP!

Check in Device Manager if there are any red or yellow marks.
You probably have conflicting IRQs.
In Device Manager, let it show all hidden devices. Then uninstall all occurrences of that card-NIC.
Try the card-NIC in a different slot, that should assign another IQ to the card.

PT800CE-A Hardware Malfunction error problems

My friend also has same ECS PT800CE-A board which he bought from Fry's store. We replaced the board. The first board, when you save bios, it will not re-boot. With the new board, it saves and re-boots.
It also gave CPU clock speed error as everyone else got. That is fixed after pressing F6 in bios.

The most intreguing error is the "HARDWARE MALFUNCTION" error, which will show up any time with blue screen without any details. My friend is also using second PIC wireless NIC besides onboard. I advised him to remove PCI NIC to see if that fixes the problem.

I will appreciate if soemone knows how to fix this probme.

Regards.
P.Gill

I have installed this MB and after much attention and adjustment, I would say it works well, but is finicky. With the 3200 DDR memory chips, they must manually be set to 166 mghz -- the auto setting does not work and will cause the board to reset or a BSOD after running for a while. Also, the HDDs and CD rom must be set for cable select or booting will be almost impossible. I have updated all drivers and the whole system [with nvidia 5200 fx; 1 mb ram; latest bios from ecs site] is very stable. The board also overclocks just fine [with Prescott P4 3 Ghz].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back