EtherFast 10/100 Print Server Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

maXimus4444

I've got an old LinkSys PPSX1 Print Server that I'm trying to setup. I'm running into some problems with the IP. I want for the Print Server to get its IP from DHCP but it seems like it is setup with a static IP. There isn't a reset button or even a test page button.
Thanks-
maX

The printserver should have come with a setup program or you may be able to download one from Linksys.

You're right it does come with setup software. Its called Bi-Admin. I've been using the software to scan for the device but its not finding it. The print server and my computer are connected to the same switch. I'm running Win98. Its an older version of the PPSX1 but I'm not sure how old it is.

Can't find it on the same switch either.. That's not good :)
Maybe try with a hub or a crossover cable. Disable any software firewalls.

Any chance that you know the printserver's current IP? Maybe read the manual and see if it has a "default" IP?

No, thats the problem. I'll have to check the manual and see if there is a default ip.

What would be the difference using a hub instead of a switch? Or crossover for that matter. Is it easier for the printServer software to find it?

Why can't you install the printer on a system and create a network share for it? Without using the print server at all...

You know what, I'm not really sure why. I guess I just had it in my mind I was going to use a print server.

So I should install the printer on the server and share it, or should it be on a client?

I have an old print server too and I could never get it to work either. I suppose you could install the printer on either the server or the client, which ever is most convenient...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back