Ethernet goes off randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys. I have a motorola surfboard modem, connected to a Linksys WRTP54G. To it, ethernet port 1 = Desktop PC, ethernet port 2 = Network printer, wireless = laptop. Recently, the ethernet port lights 1 and 2 went off random; and the desktop and printer lost its connection (disconnected) thank goodness wireless still works. Well, that problem left, now came back.. In this past hour, it happened about 10 times! i dont know what to do anymore.. i've tried everything. Then random, the lights come back up, and the printer and desktop rejoin the network.
firmware is current.
Tried different ethernet ports.
ALL ports go off and on at the same time. so its not a bad cable.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated...

thanks in advance

Whenever that happens, you need to verify that the 'motorola surfboard modem' is still talking to the ISP -- monitor THOSE lights first. If it appears normal, THEN check the router.

Call the ISP help desk to determine if there is an outage in your area. If not, THEN
you have a problem that needs research.

ISP, sends a reboot to my modem, and everything works fine when connected directly to the Modem from desktop. Even though, the connection comes and goes, the little network cable unplugged appears now and then, then connected appears.. so goes on and off.. I'm so puzzled!!!

goes in and off, within seconds.. every so often!! :/ :/

here is a little video i made.. i'm using ports 2 and 3. 2 being desktop, 3 is printer.
as you can see, the modem lights are all fine.. and ethernet lights go on and off again.. and mostly stays off.. yet sometimes, just decides to blink (show LAN activity) and shows 'connected' on my desktop.. but only for a split sec. then goes to Disconnected again, and stays..

GRRRR

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ1gOzL5mYk[/ame]

I've seen Broadcom Gigabit cards do this (what brand is your wired nic?)
The solution has always been to back-off the data rate until the connection is reliable (in this order)
  1. 100mb full duplex
  2. 100mb half-duplex
  3. 10mb full duplex
  4. 10mb half-duplex

I tried this, but this doesn't answer why the printer LED is off too?!?

i appreciate the troubleshooting, but it cant be 1 w/out the other.. they both disappear, as you can see.. so it can't be something specific on the desktop or the printer, it needs to be something working together.. i assume the router.. i'm gonna go get a new router, see if that works. thanks anyway all! ;)

connect the PC directly to the modem and see if the pc can talk w/o the router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back