TechSpot

Ethernet Problem

By Barnezz
Aug 28, 2007
  1. I am having a problem with my Internet/Ethernet where my computer almost never gets an IP address from my router and when it does I get internet connectivity, the connectivity stops in 10 minutes or less. I have tried reinstalling the drivers but it says that some .msi file is missing on my hard drive and when I try to repair the internet connection the windows stops responding. Both ports have the same problem?

Help greatly appreciated!

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

update the firmware in your router and then the driver for your ethernet card.

3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Take the router out of the equation entirely. What happens when you go directly from cable modem to your computer? Have you ever had a good and stable connection? Are you DSL or cable? What make/model cable modem are you using? What make/model for the computer ethernet network card?

4. Barnezz

Barnezz TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

I am using a on board Marvell 88E8053 LAN card and I downloaded the driver for it and now I don't have the problem anymore. Thanks for the help!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.