Ethernet Works Wireless Won't Connect

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is in the right place but here goes...

Yesterday, the wireless was going slow, so I accessed the router (192.168.0.1)
and changed the WPA Pre-Shared Key to something more complex and difficult to guess.
After that, it would still connect to wireless but it wouldn't load pages quickly, or at all.
Then, it stopped connecting to my wireless network altogether.
I'm writing this post with my Ethernet cable plugged in and it works perfectly fine.

I ran Windows troubleshooter while still able to connect to wireless. Results were that the problem had something to do with the DNS Server. Since then, I've tried winsock fix, flushdns,
ipconfig in cmd, resetting the wireless WPA Pre-Shared Key back to the original, changing the Preferred and Alternate DNS servers, powering off my Thomson router.

I've tried to cmd - ipconfig /release /renew but it says the media is disconnected and it can't
perform that operation.

Any help would be great,
-Scott

How far is the computer from the router? Are there any walls,floors it has to go thru?
Personally, I'd stick with the ethernet.

Ok when you change the routers security key. Did you also change the wireless adapters key to match. If not this could be your problem.

How far is the computer from the router? Are there any walls,floors it has to go thru?
Personally, I'd stick with the ethernet.

I've come to the conclusion that if I can't get wireless to work again, I'll be OK plugging in the Ethernet cable when I want to go online. Still, I want to figure out the problem if possible... it irks me.

Ok when you change the routers security key. Did you also change the wireless adapters key to match. If not this could be your problem.

Yes I did. When I first changed it I could still connect to wireless but after a while, I was unable to connect altogether. Could it be a DNS server issue? When I run CMD ipconfig/ release/ renew it says that my media is disconnected; whatever that means.

Thanks for the replies!

I don't necessarily have the answer but when this sort of thing happens to me it is usually my wireless adapter failing. Actually I use a wireless access point which is then connected to my PC via an ethernet cable but when it fails, replacing it cures the problem.

I am with mailpup, I t could be the wireless adapter maybe going bad. But you could try uninstalling the wireless adapters drivers . Then reinstall them or upgrade them . Some times this works to.

I've come to the conclusion that if I can't get wireless to work again, I'll be OK plugging in the Ethernet cable when I want to go online. Still, I want to figure out the problem if possible... it irks me.
Well, with Ethernet, its a direct connection, no walls or other obstructions to be concerned about. Good luck. :)

When I run CMD ipconfig/ release/ renew it says that my media is disconnected; whatever that means.
Connectivity has two meanings: (1) the pc to the router and then (2) the router to the ISP/Internet.

Working with a wired PC->Router connection will ensure that the settings for (2) are correct. Then when you attempt a WiFi (1) connection, it's all about the wifi driver on the PC vs the WiFi settings in the router.

You test (2) connections using the following:
get a command prompt and enter
  • ping 8.8.8.8
  • ping google.com
You should NOT see timeouts for either.

If these work, the the browser+email will too and (2) connectivity becomes the sole problem.

Try to reposition your computer (or usb wifi or usb wifi antenna or pci-e wifi antenna).

I have this really cheap usb wifi (realtek chipset;WU-NETA-011-M ) which would have intermittent wifi connection when inserted in the the back panel usb port but has no problem when inserted in the front panel usb port of my desktop computer.
the distance to my tp-link wifi router is roughly half a meter.

Frankly, I've seen this comment frequently
Try to reposition your computer
but it has NEVER been a solution. Drivers, interference and even TCP settings are far more prevalent as causes over distance.

Hey scottrb. Is this on a laptop or a desktop that also has a wireless adapter?. I assume this slow connection with wireless wasn't always an issue. Besides trying a new adapter (maybe disabling the adapter and using a wireless usb dongle, I would see how another wireless laptop connects (visiting the same web page at roughly the same time). I would also do a factory reset of the router then set the security features up again, and additionally, change the default broadcast channel if possible. I know Linksys routers and a few others came set to broadcast on channel 6, I used to change them to 10 or 11 for people whose routers showed strong wireless signals nearby. If another laptop shows a slow connection at roughly the same time, I would try or ask for a new router.

Download and install inSSIDer by MetaGeek.

You can then see ALL the stations nearby and the channel used by each of them. Typically, channel 6 is the default, but in the U.S.A. we have 1-11 and in Europe they have 12+13.

Pick one with the weakest signal OR with with no current users :)

You don't need another router either to do this.

Back