Eurocom unveils PX7 Pro SE mobile server

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Eurocom has unveiled a new notebook computer that’s perhaps unlike any you’ve seen before. That’s because it’s technically a mobile server.

The Eurocom PX7 Pro SE is powered by Intel’s quad-core (eight threads) Xeon E3-1505M v5 processor clocked at 2.8GHz on a CM236 server chipset alongside up to 64GB of ECC DDR4-2133 RAM and up to an Nvidia Quadro M5500 graphics card (8GB of GDDR5 VRAM).

It packs a 17.3-inch FHD (1,920 x 1,080 resolution) IPS matte display, support for four M.2 solid state drives (two of which are PCIe) and a standard 2.5-inch drive (RAID 0/1/5 is supported). The optical drive can also be removed and replaced with another 2.5-inch drive, we’re told.

Other noteworthy features include a Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet controller, a built-in 9-cell / 7500mAh / 83.25Wh UPS that provides 1.5 hours of backup power, six USB 3.0 ports, DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4 and more. You can load up Microsoft’s Server 2012R2, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 as well as Linux / Ubuntu.

The PX7 Pro SE measures 17.1 inches x 11.8 inches x 1.9 inches and tips the scales at 8.4 pounds.

Eurocom hasn’t yet said how much the PX7 Pro SE will sell for or when it’ll be available.

Permalink to story.

I can't think of any practical use case for this thing. Everything one can do on this thing is just as doable on a regular professional laptop. The rest is a useless overkill for a laptop.

A mobile server is an oxymoron.

Last edited:
I think the Nvidia Quadro is overkill for any server, especially on a laptop. If I had to go mobile a server, I'd put it in a MITX enclosure.

Not all that useful but it looks pretty and if I could get one for free I would love showing it off.

Might be useful for an IT consultant; being able to boot up virtual instances of server operating systems/enterprise software for testing, etc.

Might be useful for an IT consultant; being able to boot up virtual instances of server operating systems/enterprise software for testing, etc.

There are lots of laptops out there with 32GB of RAM and in a regular form-factor. Each of those can run multiple servers at the same time without issues. Most IT consultants however settle for laptops with 16GB of RAM or less, because nobody really needs more.

Back