European Parliament wants to break up Google over anti-competitive concerns

Jos

Staff

The European Parliament has overwhelmingly passed a controversial resolution asking the European Commission to consider the "unbundling of search engines from other commercial services" in order to ensure "competitive conditions within the digital single market." While not explicitly mentioned by name, the obvious target here is Google, which reportedly handles more than 90 percent of web searches across European countries.

The resolution was passed by 384 votes to 174, with 56 abstentions. While the motion is non-binding -- as in, it doesn’t have the authority really break up Google -- it is a strong public signal of Europe's concern with the growing power of U.S. tech giants. It is now up to the European Commission to review the complaint before deciding on the next step. The latter does potentially have the power to force a breakup, but only of Google’s European subsidiaries.

Google has been on the sights of european regulators over its allegedly anti-competitive practices since 2010. It’s also had to deal with several privacy issues, copyright concerns and even tax controversies. Most recently, Google was banned from grabbing thumbnail images and snippets of text from news results belonging to a group of German newspapers. The company complied but the papers quickly backed down after seeing web traffic plummet.

Aside from asking the European Commission to "enforce competition rules decisively", the Parliament’s resolution also called on the Council of the EU to finalize new rules on data protection, roaming and net neutrality.

Permalink to story.

Google breaks up into 2 different companies.
1 day later: Google and Google search merge to create a more better product.
2 days later: EU parliment force AT&T, Microsoft, Nokia, Visa, Dell, Amazon, Ebay to split into different companies.
3 days later: UK leaves EU parliment permanently.
4 days later: World realizes how pathetic the EU parliment is and forces them to dismantle for crimes against humanity and stupidity.

Google wants to break up Europe for being crap.
This would be news. And good news for the UK. My god do we need to get out of the EU so we can finally say FU to all the immigrants they keep pushing onto our island. Its like Guantanamo Bay here.
It is bad enough that 1 government is running a country into the ground, but even worse when they get together like a backwards Mensa collective. Thick as.
Just one crappy idea after another and now they someone is upset that everyone uses Google as the go to search engine ? If we promise to use Bing or Duckduckgo or god forbid AskJeeves ... would that help stop this nonsense ?
Meh.

God the UK needs to leave the EU, it's getting more pathetic by the minute, I swear we only joined on a trade agreement?

I'm finding it hard to believe that so many forum users here have still not woken up to the false reality of life and who controls this reality! There is so much good information from reliable sources out there to help the sheeple wake up now. Is it that people are just too engrossed with games and all the other distractions put in our way to distract us form the real issues that face us now? Rising to the bait is exactly what our controllers want us to do. Humanity is the way forward, not politics.

It's funny how migrants bring billions of pounds to UK's budget though... Plus, I've been to London like 5 times and not once have I seen a single Brit serving customers in a pub or working the supermarket tills. But I guess that's easy to forget...

It's funny how migrants bring billions of pounds to UK's budget though... Plus, I've been to London like 5 times and not once have I seen a single Brit serving customers in a pub or working the supermarket tills. But I guess that's easy to forget...

You clearly don't understand how immigration works on an economic, social, or political level. Those "billions of pounds" are offset by necessarily higher unemployment by the native population, cultural conflict, competition over government representation, and the capital that leaves the host country when it is sent back to the immigrant's homeland. I don't know how the UK structures its welfare programs, but there is also the issue of benefits being paid out to immigrants who do not pay in to the system proportionate to natives, as is the case in the U.S.

In short, no Brits serving customers or working tills means no Brits serving customers or working tills. Other jobs do not magically appear nor do wages magically increase as more labor competition moves into the local markets. Likewise, taxes don't magically decrease or remain static while large scale immigration increases gov't liabilities.

God the UK needs to leave the EU, it's getting more pathetic by the minute, I swear we only joined on a trade agreement?
Stop complaining pal, you don't know when you've got it good. Try our African governments for a bit then you'll be the EU's biggest supporter.

This isn't a valid argument. Anyone could just as easily tell you to quit complaining about African governments because North Korea is a hell hole: Try our North Korean government for a bit then, you'll be Africa's biggest supporter! (Assuming, of course, that the hypothetical North Korean could author such a message without being disappeared.)

The reason you don't see one single brit serving in London my friend, is that immigrants cluster and stick to their own, and the british get pushed out, property prices plummet, the area becomes full of poor immigrants (although they then get more benefits than British, and free housing) and crime. They set up businesses to bring more in, and to lie and cheat their way into citizenships with false documents. Or they post their passports back to their home country so they can't be forced to leave.

The only people who are British in London, are business owners, or the rich who commute to their banks or lucrative job.

Take Birmingham as the best example. Nothing British left in that area.

Britain sadly is no longer owned by the British people, but foreign companies who have bought us out due to an inept government who joined the EU and sold off anything of value.

Wiki quote, regarding the situation in Birmingham:

According to figures from the 2011 census, 57.9% of the population was White (53.1% White British, 2.1% White Irish, 2.7% Other White), 4.4% of mixed race (2.3% White and Black Caribbean, 0.3% White and Black African, 1.0% White and Asian, 0.8% Other Mixed), 26.6% Asian (13.5% Pakistani, 6.0% Indian, 3.0% Bangladeshi, 1.2% Chinese, 2.9% Other Asian), 8.9% Black (2.8% African, 4.4% Caribbean, 1.7% Other Black), 1.0% Arab and 1.0% of other ethnic heritage.[122] 57% of primary and 52% of secondary pupils are from non-white British families

How many of those are European immigrants ? Leaving the EU is not going to alleviate that.

@davislane1 : The idea was how much Brits love to work those jobs. I really doubt that immigrants set up some controlled areas where no Brits have access.. Not in London, anyway.

This world's problem is overpopulation and the stupid consumerism... Migration has been around since mankind first walked this earth.

....[ ]....This world's problem is overpopulation and the stupid consumerism...[ ]....
Which is why it's likely those on social entitlements have the most illegitimate children. So many baby daddies, so hard for the legal system to find them. And they're entitled to flat screen TVs and smartphones, just like the rest of society. Just ask them, they'll tell you....., er, and quite loudly at that.

After all, the phone is vital for drug purchases, drug sales, and to call the friendly local caseworker for a bump up in benefits when you're knocked up again..(y)

Migration has been around since mankind first walked this earth.
Perhaps so, but only for the fleet of foot, the adventurous, and the intrepid. Mostly everyone else stayed in Africa and waited to appear in "Care" commercials. Those pesky dried up waterholes ruin everything. But they do make great photo ops for the naive, socially conscious, and NPO diplomats who need them to maintain their salaries.

And a quick word to the "wise", it's in your best interest to just sit there while looking hungry and lost. Angelina Jolie will be along to snatch you up any day now.

Wiki quote, regarding the situation in Birmingham:

According to figures from the 2011 census, 57.9% of the population was White (53.1% White British, 2.1% White Irish, 2.7% Other White), 4.4% of mixed race (2.3% White and Black Caribbean, 0.3% White and Black African, 1.0% White and Asian, 0.8% Other Mixed), 26.6% Asian (13.5% Pakistani, 6.0% Indian, 3.0% Bangladeshi, 1.2% Chinese, 2.9% Other Asian), 8.9% Black (2.8% African, 4.4% Caribbean, 1.7% Other Black), 1.0% Arab and 1.0% of other ethnic heritage.[122] 57% of primary and 52% of secondary pupils are from non-white British families

How many of those are European immigrants ? Leaving the EU is not going to alleviate that.

@davislane1 : The idea was how much Brits love to work those jobs. I really doubt that immigrants set up some controlled areas where no Brits have access.. Not in London, anyway.

This world's problem is overpopulation and the stupid consumerism... Migration has been around since mankind first walked this earth.

It is readily apparent from your block quoting of Wikipedia that you have little understanding of how immigration works or how it impacts both host nations and immigrant homelands. As stated earlier in this thread, the issue has nothing to do with what native populations consider ideal or desirable employment.

Your conclusion about demographics and the EU reveals that you also don't seem to understand why immigration is relevant to the desire to leave the EU. It has little to do with purging demographics and everything to do with returning governing power to the people of respective nations, where the interests of the people will not fall a distant second to the whims and desires of the EU.

I love how this has turned into an immigration post, but lets be clear the UK gets F'd in the A by the EU.
And they have no right to tell google what to do when its there business and there search engine etc etc etc. They need to STFU.
They have my permission to have the right to be forgotten , everyone should be able to delete and break free from the internet. It has turned to crap since its been policed by governments and copyright holders. You cant fart without being in breach of someones laws, cause its world wide...
But I do want to forget the EU. and back to immigration for tomkaten. It's not the migrants who are at fault, its the governments for letting them in when they could of said no, for sneaking them in instead because they wanted cheap workers cause they had shares in companies and wanted more profits, because the government members are the greediest of all, and will screw every member of Joe Public in order to make him and his or her little circle of friends richer.
Thats why they spend so much time not noticing the crap that matters or writing legislation to make things better. They just let it rot.

Back