TechSpot

Event id 1003 - Serious error occurred

By Jslayton
Jun 11, 2005
  1. Let me start by giving a little history. My girlfriend's computer was built a few weeks ago and worked fine during that time. A few days ago it started randomly rebooting and reporting the event id 1003 in the event log and coming up with "Windows recovered from a serious error" every time the machine successfully booted up. I troubleshot this problem extensively and was able to isolate a faulty DIMM using Memtest.

After removing the module, the event id 1003 persists. It referenced the attached minidump file.

Any insight on this problem would be appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

Welcome to Techspot!
    Just a suggestion . post files as a .txt .......
    >zip files can carry anything ,I don't doubt you are cool ,but then again why should I take a chance.

3. cpc2004

cpc2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,994

Jslayton,

Your minidump is inaccessible by windbg. It is a symptom of server hardware error at your girl's computer's. Usually it is a RAM problem. Attach more dumps here if you want to confirm RAM is the culprit.

cpc2004

4. Jslayton

Jslayton TS Rookie Topic Starter

Is it normal for this type of error to persist after the bad RAM has been removed? I tested the remaining module of the two with memtest and it runs great, and the machine has run good since then, but the event id 1003 and the serious error keep coming up every reboot.

And if you think it would help, I'll gladly post more minidumps.

Thanks in advance.

5. cpc2004

It is abnormal to have event id 1003 if your XP does not crash. Redefine the paging space may resolve XP keep generating system event 1003.

6. Jslayton

Oh that makes sense, the pagefile is probably set to something appropriate to 1GB of RAM, and the system is now down to 512 MB of RAM.

I'll try that! Thanks :)

7. Jslayton

I resized my Pagefile to the Windows recommended setting of 768-1536 and the error persists.

Attached is the most recent minidump file.

Attached Files:

8. cpc2004

9. Jslayton

That'll do it. I'll apply the service pack. Thanks again, you guys are great :)

10. Jslayton

Applied service pack, changed the page file size one last time, and the error is gone. Great tips! Thanks again.

11. Haitashi

Haitashi TS Rookie

Having the same problem...

Hi! My PC restarts randomly. Particularly during gameplay. My specs are:
    CPU: Athlon 64 3200+
    Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    Ram Speed, size and #sticks: 2 sticks of 1GB DDR400
    GPU: nVidia GeForce 6600
    PSU: 400W (make: ALLIED model: AL-C400ATX)

Here are the last 2 errors in the Event Viewer:
    AND

Don't know how to attach the minidump files :(

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

12. cpc2004

Hi Haitashi,

Open a new thread for a new problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.