Evernote cripples free service with device limits

Scorpus

Staff member

Evernote is one of the most popular note-taking applications going around, but a revised pricing structure for paid plans and a new set of limitations for free users is sure to upset some long time fans of the service.

The recently announced changes will have the biggest effect on free users. The Evernote Basic plan, which is the platform's free service, has introduced a device limit that cripples the awesome functionality that Evernote provides. Free users will no longer be able to sync their notes with every device they own, as the Basic plan now limits users to just two devices.

Evernote is bringing its passcode lock feature on their mobile app to the Basic plan, but that's not exactly decent compensation for users who will be locked out of accessing their synced notes on a third device. Those who are currently over the device limit will have 30 days to "adjust" to the new restrictions.

As for paid users, Evernote is increasing the price of both the Plus and Premium tiers, which offer 1 GB and 10 GB of note upload space respectively, as well as no device limit. The Plus tier is now $3.99 per month (up from $2.99) or $34.99 per year, while Premium is now $7.99 per month (up from $5.99) or $69.99 per year.

Some of these changes, particularly the device restrictions for free users, could convince Evernote users to switch to a competitor such as Microsoft's OneNote, which offers similar functionality without the limits. Evernote does say the changes to pricing structure will help them invest in their core products, but it might come at a cost of users.

Permalink to story.

Yep, I'm dumping them now and looking for a good replacement. Any recommendations from anyone???

Yep, I'm dumping them now and looking for a good replacement. Any recommendations from anyone???

Currently I use Evernote and Google Keep. Each have their advantages.

Google Keep is a good, simple, free alternative, with the ability to share notes with other Google Keep users. Not as robust as Evernote, but definitely worth the price.

I'm not a Microsoft fan, but I will consider their OneNote product.

OneNote is one of the best products to come out of Microsoft. That said, I'm not familiar with Evernote's full feature set, so I don't know if it would be a valid replacement for you.

OneNote is free to use, and has desktop, mobile and web clients. I've been using it for years, and love it. I don't know how much space is in the free tier, but getting it through Office 365 gets you a 1 TB of storage. There are also ways to score and extra 100GB for free for a year, every now and again.

I usually start with Google Keep for a new project and when I find that it lacks features I need, I switch to another app. This is how I got to use Evernote. Most users are not very sophisticated and Evernote features, even in the Basic case, are not usually needed. If you just save something from time to time for a later read then Google Keep might do the trick (if you don't mind creating a Google account). If I remember correctly, it integrates with Google Drive so you have plenty of space available.
There was no chemistry between me and OneNote - the concept was good, but OneNote app crashed after several days of usage and took all my notes with it. To make it more weird, they weren't saved in the cloud for some reason. To be fair, I was using most of the time the version which came with Surface Pro 4 - it was "optimized" (feature reduced) - horrible app and horrible product this Surface crap. I've reported the incident to Microsoft, and in turn they sent me the pdf manual for Surface Pro 4 - which is a bit retarded. I might give OneNote a go in the future - not sure if it can compete with Evernote in terms of organization when you have hundreds or thousands of entries.

Red Notebook, store it on your Google Drive but desktop/laptop only as far as I am aware.

Back