everquest 2 what video card to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought everquest 2 for my son when i installed it i got error message about my video card not enough to run game. know nothing about computers. i have a compaq 7600 . am single parent cant afford more than 40 or 50 dollars what card should i get?

I just spent 10 mins of hell on Compaq's very hard to use website.

[shakes off bad experience and stops complaining]

It looks like there are varous 7600 models of compaq. (small form factor, minitower etc.)

We need to know exactly what computer you have. Can you link us to a website with the specs of your computer please?

By the way:

Everquest 2

System Requirements:
Windows 98/2000/ME/XP; 1GHz processor or greater; 512 MB RAM; DirectX 9 compatible video card. Pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware with 64 MB of texture memory; 56k+ Internet connection; DirectSound compatible audio hardware; Internet connection and monthly fee required

iy is a compaq presario with celeron cpu 2.53GHZ with 248MB of Ram My videoe card is intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE,GV graphics controller.RAM 256 Memory

HI mmvica,

I'm an avid EQ2 player, and I would highly recommend returning the game and going for Guild Wars, which is similar but doesn't require a very beefy system. Guild Wars will play on your system as-is. So your son can make a warrior, wizard or necro.. play online with friends.. and you wont have to break the bank for hardware upgrades. It has no monthly fee either.

EQ2, while a great game, is one of the absolute most taxing games on the shelves.. bar none. 512mb of memory, even on the games lowest settings, will be a stutter and pause fest.. 256mb isn't even playable at all. To get anything that resembles possible gameplay, you'll want 768MB to 1 gig of memory right off the bat.

Add to this the game uses DirectX 9.0 and has heavy, heavy overdraw. This means even mid-range, $150 3d cards are barely adequate- again at the games lowest settings.

The cheapest videocard I would recommend for that game (note- cheapest, not yielding the best performance in EQ2) would be the 9250 256mb - $48
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102392

I'm assuming your system has an AGP slot. You'll also need to add AT LEAST another 512mb of ram (bringing you to 768MB) of you plan to play EQ2.

If your son is into RPG's, GuildWars or Everquest (the first) is a much better choice with a limited system. EQ2 requires a very, very modern and beefy system.. and even my highest end $1500 system is brought to it's knees by this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back