Inactive Everything on computer has 'open with' pop up

Status
Not open for further replies.

spkenny

I have a customers computer, who obviously was infected as most icons on the desktop would open up in internet explorer, or pop up the 'open with' window. I have scanned and cleaned the machine, which has brought me to phase 2. Fixing the obvious registry disaster the infections had caused. For past similar issues like this, I have a registry fix disc for all windows xp versions, and simply merge the .reg file which has worked every time until this one. Whether it is trying to install the malwarebytes install from my flash drive, or right clicking the .reg file and merge, it is always trying to 'open with', which I have never run into before. His system is running winxp media center.

update: I am able to get to 'regedit' through the dos command prompt after finding an explanation on a website if it will help.

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

=====================================================================

Download and run exeHelper.

• Please download exeHelper from Raktor to your desktop.
  • Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
  • A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
  • A log file named log.txt will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com
  • Attach the log.txt file to your next message.

Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back