eVGA 7900 GS KO advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lei680

Hello. I have a evga 7900 gs ko. I need some advice on how to fully maximize my video card's performance. For some reason i can't even get a constant 100 fps on cs. I want to know if it's that is vista decreasing the performance, and how i could fix it. I also want to know the best 3D settings on the Nvidia Forceware Control Panel

Using a Gateway GT5404 =/

Can someone please help me?

Thanks

Your performane is of course depending on your cpu, ram menory, etc. Post your particulars and perhaps someone may have some input regarding that. Your graphics fps is being brought down by whatever is your weakest link. You undenialably have a quick GPU. Good Luck.

Lei680 said:
Hello. I have a evga 7900 gs ko. I need some advice on how to fully maximize my video card's performance. For some reason i can't even get a constant 100 fps on cs. I want to know if it's that is vista decreasing the performance, and how i could fix it. I also want to know the best 3D settings on the Nvidia Forceware Control Panel

Using a Gateway GT5404 =/

Can someone please help me?

Thanks

Windows Vista takes ALOT of system resources. If you have all the pretty features of vista turned on, then it is going to hog your processor and RAM. What sort of CPU are you running, and how much RAM?

Coz if your processor isn't up to scratch, and you're not running enough RAM, Vista will cause you to run Tetris or solitare at 5fps!

I just looked up your computer. You're processor is a Pentium D 2.8Ghz, and your running 1GB of ram at 533 MHz.

You're processor is a little slow by modern standards, but seeing as though your running an old game (your talking about the old CS right? not Source?) I can't see that being the problem. You're problem is your RAM. If your gaming, 1GB of RAM is definately not enough! You need to consider getting another 1gb, or even 2gb of RAM.

sledgus said:
I just looked up your computer. You're processor is a Pentium D 2.8Ghz, and your running 1GB of ram at 533 MHz.

You're processor is a little slow by modern standards, but seeing as though your running an old game (your talking about the old CS right? not Source?) I can't see that being the problem. You're problem is your RAM. If your gaming, 1GB of RAM is definately not enough! You need to consider getting another 1gb, or even 2gb of RAM.

I was just using cs as an example, but im usually playing battlefield 2 and other high end games, plus i bought this card for crysis, which is coming out soon.
What can i do to make my graphics to its full potential?

2 Gigs should be okay for your rig. 4Gigs is overkill unless you're doing media encoding/editing, stuff like that.

You're disappointed with something running at "only" 100FPS? Sorry, but there's not much we can do. That's not a "problem".

Dreamin...

Lei680 said:
I was just using cs as an example, but im usually playing battlefield 2 and other high end games, plus i bought this card for crysis, which is coming out soon.
What can i do to make my graphics to its full potential?

MetalX has a good point.

Crysis??? If you want to play crysis, you had better get another 2GB of Memory, and get yourself a 320MB 8800GTS (atleast)

I know the recommended Specs are a 7800GTX, but from experience 'recommended specs' is another way of saying 'if you want to run this game at OK quality, and experience around 35-40fps, then get this hardware'

If you really must try and 'improve' your graphics card, over clock it.. Download Systool, and use its overclocking utility. It will get you another 3fps, and maybe another 400 3D Mark 06 points

Lol, to play such a new game like Crysis, you'd need a new comp. Pre Core2Duos might just run a slideshow of it for you.

Well, a Pentium D is not good for gaming (damn you Netburst lol). I just saw a guy that bought a 8800GTS 320MB (which destroys any previous gen card), but he has a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz. He can't even play some games at 1024x768!!

So obviously the PD processor is a big bottleneck. I'm afraid you'll need another CPU (Core 2 Duo 4300 or another similar), new PSU, probably a new motherboard etc if you want to play Crysis.........

PC gaming requires quite a lot of money... That's why I'm back to console gaming :)

And BTW, Vista will definitely slow down game's performance. Try downloading the latest Vista drivers for your video card.

I'm not saying don't bother, they will still run, but expect to turn all the eye-candy off, or tune it down quite alot. And don't expect really really good framerates, expect minimally playable, say 30fps, with some moments of lag in certain areas.

The pentium D was the worse processor that intel has ever made (in terms of market performance against its competitors). If you want to play Crysis, your going to have to spend some $

You'll need a better graphics card, more RAM and a bigger PSU. You could probably get away with your processor, but I would really recommend getting a better one.

You can't be on a budget really, your going to have to spend some $
Core 2 Duos are about $320 (AUD), a new 8800GTS will cost about $400,
Ram will be about $180 (on ebay) and a good PSU will cost about $150

wolfram said:
Well, a Pentium D is not good for gaming (damn you Netburst lol). I just saw a guy that bought a 8800GTS 320MB (which destroys any previous gen card), but he has a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz. He can't even play some games at 1024x768!!

So obviously the PD processor is a big bottleneck. I'm afraid you'll need another CPU (Core 2 Duo 4300 or another similar), new PSU, probably a new motherboard etc if you want to play Crysis.........

PC gaming requires quite a lot of money... That's why I'm back to console gaming :)

And BTW, Vista will definitely slow down game's performance. Try downloading the latest Vista drivers for your video card.

I remember that post, when the guy had a pentium d 820 and was saying yippi because he bought a gts, what a waste. I was disappointed myself.

ahh thanks a lot for everyone who helped me on this, i guess i'll stick with this comp for now til i have the money to get a brand new custom one.

sledgus said:
Core 2 Duos are about $320 (AUD), a new 8800GTS will cost about $400,
Ram will be about $180 (on ebay) and a good PSU will cost about $150

I don't know where you buy your parts, but an E6320 is not much more than 200 bux, RAM can be had for much less than 180... and for 150, you're getting a pretty high Watt PSU. All this from MSY.

CMH said:
I don't know where you buy your parts, but an E6320 is not much more than 200 bux, RAM can be had for much less than 180... and for 150, you're getting a pretty high Watt PSU. All this from MSY.

I didn't recommend an E6320, I recommended a E6600 which is about $320
2GB of DDR800 RAM is about $150 (I was close)
$150 is how much it will cost to get a 450 Watt thermeltake PSU. If you buy a no-brand cheap PSU, you will get 5-10% performance drop and you will be replacing it in no time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back