EVGA's GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR Edition sports a front breakout box

Scorpus

Staff member

EVGA has today announced two new versions of their Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti graphics cards that are specifically designed for people building VR-ready gaming systems.

Known as the GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR Edition, these new cards come with a breakout box that put two USB 3.0 ports and a HDMI 2.0 port on the front of your case through a 5.25" drive bay. These three ports are basically all you need to drive a consumer VR headset like the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, and make it easier to connect said headsets without needing to run cables to the back of your case.

EVGA's VR Edition graphics cards come in two variants: one with a reference cooler, known as the "EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR Edition Gaming", and another with a custom dual-fan cooling solution, known as the "EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR Edition Gaming ACX 2.0+". There is no price difference between the cards, and both come with Nvidia's reference (not overclocked) clock speeds.

On the graphics card side, the only real difference between these cards and regular EVGA GTX 980 Tis is the inclusion of an internal HDMI port that allows the breakout box's cable to easily connect. This HDMI port is in addition to the two DisplayPorts, one HDMI port, and one DVI port found on the card's I/O shield.

EVGA's VR Edition GeForce GTX 980 Tis will set you back $699.99, which is a $50 premium on the company's standard GTX 980 Tis. If a handy breakout box for VR headsets is worth $50 to you, both variants of the card are available now.

Permalink to story.

I really don't see the appeal to this especially at the elevated price point. A longer HDMI cable is only going to run you 20 cents more and USB 3.0 hubs are cheap if you really need the extra ports that badly. File this under the "for people with more money and less time then sense" department.

I use a Silverstone FT02bw case and never have to run a cable to the back anyways. So for me it makes no change.;)

I use a Silverstone FT02bw case and never have to run a cable to the back anyways. So for me it makes no change.;)
You have HDMI 2.0 on the front panel? No? I didn't think so...

Do you seriously think EVGA is the first to come up with the idea of adding HDMI to the front of a computer?

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...multi-functional-3-5-inch-front-panel.176659/

There are plenty other multi-functional units that do more than what is offered here for an extra $50. This isn't solving the issue in any unique way, it fleecing your customer's pockets.

Do you seriously think EVGA is the first to come up with the idea of adding HDMI to the front of a computer?

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...multi-functional-3-5-inch-front-panel.176659/

There are plenty other multi-functional units that do more than what is offered here for an extra $50. This isn't solving the issue in any unique way, it fleecing your customer's pockets.
I agree. $50 for a simple BOB is daylight robbery. When other manufacturers start offering the same thing it'll be included free bundle in the box, it's not worth much more than that.

All these VR techs are soon to fade away into oblivion... just like the 3D TV/ Gaming....

I wonder when all these hype will end... I'm estimating in 2 years ...

Turn computer around, all the ports you need are on the back and nothing needs disk/cd/dvd any more. Power button could be moved to better place but as it is on top of my comp there's no need for me to change it. Also your cords will be bit longer as they don't have to go around the computer. And you can see the lights blinking and fans running without see-trough case.

I have 12 usb 3 ports, 3 display ports and 2 hdmi ports at the back of computer, might as well use those.

I'm sorry,everybody slamming them for charging $50.00 for the added front panel with usb3.0 and hdmi, did you notice that that's an ADDITIONAL hdmi port to the ones already included with the base cards? They ADDED another internal port to the card for the panel to plug into. That means if the rear ports are already in use with your monitors, you needn't unplug them to use occulus. They didn't charge fifty for the usb/hdmi unit that gets added to the front of the case alone.Their also charging for the modification/additional port to the card.Actually reasonable if U stop & think instead of just crying how unfair it all is.

I'm sorry,everybody slamming them for charging $50.00 for the added front panel with usb3.0 and hdmi, did you notice that that's an ADDITIONAL hdmi port to the ones already included with the base cards? They ADDED another internal port to the card for the panel to plug into. That means if the rear ports are already in use with your monitors, you needn't unplug them to use occulus. They didn't charge fifty for the usb/hdmi unit that gets added to the front of the case alone.Their also charging for the modification/additional port to the card.Actually reasonable if U stop & think instead of just crying how unfair it all is.
Yeah I noticed that first thing. I also noticed how ridiculous it all is and how overpriced on an already overpriced card.
If I wanted to use vr, which I don't BTW, I could certainly do it without this ugly addition to the front panel.
I tried the rift and was very disappointed with the resolution discomfort and poor quality of the whole effect. Reminds me of virtual boy all over again. I took it off put it in a drawer and there it will stay, permanently.

I really don't see the appeal to this especially at the elevated price point. A longer HDMI cable is only going to run you 20 cents more and USB 3.0 hubs are cheap if you really need the extra ports that badly. File this under the "for people with more money and less time then sense" department.
you're not thinking that hard enough... you can damage your cables and also cause a lot of discomfort while wearing an oculus if you are stringing the cables from the back of your pc case towards yourself. You can damage your cables especially if you're doing any sort of room scale vr or using accessorires like virtuix omni and aren't right next to your computer. this extension that puts everything in the front means both usb cables and hdmi will be strung out from one location right in the front of your computer which keeps all tension off your neck and off the cables. Also you're preserving yhour usb 3.0 ports for other accessories. in order for me to play star citizen in vr I'd need a wopping 5 usb ports. 4 of which need to be 3.0.

There are plenty other multi-functional units that do more than what is offered here for an extra $50. This isn't solving the issue in any unique way, it fleecing your customer's pockets.[/QUO
Yeah I noticed that first thing. I also noticed how ridiculous it all is and how overpriced on an already overpriced card.
If I wanted to use vr, which I don't BTW, I could certainly do it without this ugly addition to the front panel.
I tried the rift and was very disappointed with the resolution discomfort and poor quality of the whole effect. Reminds me of virtual boy all over again. I took it off put it in a drawer and there it will stay, permanently.
umm...which rift did you try? you do realize that the resolution is much higher now right? and which game did u play? thats pretty important too.

you're not thinking that hard enough... you can damage your cables and also cause a lot of discomfort while wearing an oculus if you are stringing the cables from the back of your pc case towards yourself. You can damage your cables especially if you're doing any sort of room scale vr or using accessorires like virtuix omni and aren't right next to your computer. this extension that puts everything in the front means both usb cables and hdmi will be strung out from one location right in the front of your computer which keeps all tension off your neck and off the cables. Also you're preserving yhour usb 3.0 ports for other accessories. in order for me to play star citizen in vr I'd need a wopping 5 usb ports. 4 of which need to be 3.0.
Sounds like an advert for why not to play star citizen.
This vr tech is like 3D. Every few years they drag it back out, dust it off, give it some new tech polish and try to get people to buy it. And every few years it fails and gets shelved again.
The reason is because no one wants to wear something on their head to engage in an activity they can do without it for any length of time. Its fun for a while and then gets old fast.
When 3d and vr no longer require glasses to see, it will be ready for the masses. Until then, it's a fad that comes and goes every few years.
People act like twin screen viewers are a new thing invented by palmer luckey, its not new at all.

I'm still not seeing the issue here. If you are worried about discomfort just purchase some cable hooks for a few bucks. USB hubs are dirt cheap and 5 USB port isn't what I'd call "wopping". Most motherboards have at least 5. I have an x99 motherboard that has 11, plus two on my monitor and two on my keyboard.

Back