Excel, help please!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I eliminate duplicate values in cells?
I have a column with the following values:

How do i eliminate the values that repeat in such a way that the table looks like this:

Namely, how do i make excel only recognize the first value that repeats, and replaces the other duplicate values with a blank cell.
Please help me, and also, what exactly does the "lookup" function do?

You're gonna have a problem doing that all in 1 column. You need at least 2 columns, example column A is data entry and column B is data reported.
Try playing around with the =if command.

OK, I found a free minute and fingered out an actual working solution. First the definition of lookup:

Lookup returns a value either from a one-row or one-column range or from an array. The LOOKUP function has two syntax forms: vector and array. The vector form of LOOKUP looks in a one-row or one-column range (known as a vector) for a value and returns a value from the same position in a second one-row or one-column range. The array form of LOOKUP looks in the first row or column of an array for the specified value and returns a value from the same position in the last row or column of the array. This was copied w/o permission directly from the help file.

--A -- B ------------Resulting answer
2 20 =if(A2>A1,A2,"") 20
3 20 =if(A3>A2,A3,"") blank cell
4 30 =if(A4>A3,A4,"") 30
5 3= =if(A5>A4,A5,"") blank cell

etc etc etc

I'm not really sure what you were trying to do (a month and a 1/2 ago) but this does return the results you were looking for, as long as the numbers are in a consecutive sequence.

one thing I learned about this you can create a formula in the next row. =if(a2=a1,"yes","") What this will do if the row doubles it will say yes to the doubled word, number, or phrase. Then you will have to manually delete what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back