Excruciatingly slow boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ilanao

Yesterday, I cleaned up and defragged my computer. It worked fine when I was done. When I tried to use it later that morning, the programs wouldn't respond and the computer froze up. I shut it down manually and restarted. I couldn't get past the windows logo screen even after multiple tries. I tried just about every F8 boot up option. I tried repairing twice and reinstalling, and I found that if I just left the computer on, it would eventually boot up. It takes about an hour to get to the full desktop. I originally thought it was a video problem because I got the "black screen of death" when the computer rebooted after the repairs and reinstall. After the repair, I was getting a bunch of "explorer needs to close" errors, but those were gone after the reinstall. It functions, but extremely slowly. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

I just tried booting up after having the computer down for the night. It said the volume is dirty and ran CHKDSK. It found four unreadable file record segments. It is now sitting with the "black screen" and the cursor. It never ran CHKDSK yesterday. I don't know if this info helps.

It seems it is a conbination of graphics problems and other problems i cant pin point hopefully someone will reply and help out.

The black screen apears right after the windows loading screen and it has a mouse curser in the middle of the screen frozen? right?

XP Pro. Right now it's booted up to the desktop. I am getting bad image errors--The application of DLL c:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\AvgRes.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette. I also get the \Avg About.dll error and one for my Babylon language translator. None of the shortcuts on my toolbar are there, either. I had the desktop, IE, Mozilla, Outlook and a few others. About 11 shortcuts are also missing off my desktop.

I have Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and AVG. I scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot every few days and I rarely have more than 1 minor item. AVG is scheduled to run every day. I had just updated and ran all of the above programs the day before this happened. It's possible I picked up something since then, but I'm very careful--'ve been attacked by spyware and trojans in the past and I would rather prevent the damage than fix it! I just tried starting Ad-Aware. So far, it's been more than 15 minutes and it's only scanned 31 objects. What's worse is AVG usually takes more than an hour when it's up to speed. Running everything might take a few weeks at this rate!

Also, to answer your former question, the white cursor was in the middle of the screen, but I was able to move it around.

When you log into the computer Ctrl + Alt + Del what is yuor cpu usage and ram usage?

Could you please post your system stats.

I just killed Ad-Aware because it wasn't responding. The CPU usage is now 0. I have 512 RAM. There are 30 processes running. I have a Dell Dimension 4600C 2.4 GHz Pentium 4.

It may be a hard drvie problem. im not sure how to fix these types of problems all i know is a few simple commands fixboot,chkdsk,chkdsk /p for hard drvies. If you know them check for errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back