.exe opens as a text document

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

All my .exe's open as Text documents now with text editor because the PC asked my to select what program to open .exe with, but i wasn't paying attention and hit notepad as a normally would, any help which be fantasic.
Cheers
Hynesy

No, i should have explained it clearer, when i go to open a program, it does not open, what opens in text editor. For example, when I got to open MSN it open the text editor and shows hundreds of lines of "Á‹L$‰Ç@  ‹…ÀtPÿ˜F ËD$ SVW‹|$‹ñ© ÿÿuj j j j PWÿôˆF ‰ëjj V" and stuff like that.
cheers

if you haven't already scanned for bugs and viruses can suggest that you go HERE first then ost an hjt log etc. at least it will illiminate that if there are none, as it may be some sort of hijacker.
if you have never had to do this before, believe me its not as difficult as it looks.

Download, unzip and run the attached file. It will re-establish the default file settings and should solve your problem.

Regards Howard :)

Attachments

• exefix_xp.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 35
Didnt work howard, I also tried exporting the .exe registry key from another vista machine but it didnt help. :(

No that didn't work either, quite a pickle i ahve gotten myself into to isnt it.
I tried exporting the whole file extention library from the registry of another vista pc, into this one, didnt work either. Just one thing i hate about vista, the file extentions get f***ed up really easily. :s kinder regreting buying it

I just figured, i can get MS word to open by opening a .doc file, but I cannot get wmp to open by opening .wma files. I hope that bit of info helps.

maybe you can delete this in your registry if there is....

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad\command]
@="notepad.exe %1"

ellyquim said:
maybe you can delete this in your registry if there is....

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad\command]
@="notepad.exe %1"

I cannot open regedit.exe is there other way to access the registry and modify it.

How do I do that, what do I have to download, because i don't feel like a reformat, because im already had to do it once since getting vista because of file extention problems.

PS. Thanks for the quick reply Howard, ellyquim and tomrca

you can download it on http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ but its a long process and i don't know if you'll able to run it since your .exe will open on the notepad.

in windows explorer > tools > folder options > file types then new button and type exe..is it available in net vista?

"in windows explorer > tools > folder options > file types then new button and type exe..is it available in net vista?" No, not from what I can see, I think I might as well just reinstall, everything i need was backed up yesterday fortunately. However I wont reinstall for another10-12 hours, incase other people have any ideas.
Thanks again ellyquim for your help.
As for me, its bed time :p

Ok, last thing I can think of mate.

Give This a try. It`s supposed to restore .exe file associations. Extract the contents of the zip file and double click on the reg file. When asked if you want to merge it into your registry, click yes, then reboot your system.

Regards Howard :)

That didn't work, it said some keys were merged while others were in use and could not be merged. To stop this I tried booting in safe mode but that did not work either.
Thanks again for the help, but it looks like a reformat time....at least it gives me something to do.

Thats quite alright howard, I am now running on my newly formated vista system. The format doesn't matter to much, because i only have a few programs on the computer I use anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back